Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to go for a colonoscopy because my IBS symptoms have been getting worse.. the doctor is making me take Dulcolax tablets and then drink Trilyte.. I have heard the drinks are disgusting. However, someone told me that instead of drinking the Trilyte there are pills you can take.. has anyone ever heard of or done this? I am terrified that I am not going to be able to complete the prep with that nasty drink.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Chilling the stuff you have to drink can help the taste issue a lot.You are thinking of visicol http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/visicol_ids.htm is the instructions for it. You have to take like 3 pills every 15 minutes with 8 oz of water in two blocks of 20 pills one the night before, and one the day of the colonoscopy (your doctor's proticol may vary).Some people who have problems swallowing pills may have a hard time with this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kath M. - Thank you. I'm going to call the doctor and ask if I can do the pills. If he still wants me to do the drink, I will try putting it over ice and drinking through a straw. I have never had to go for any kind of test, so I'm really nervous about the whole process. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Be thankful you at least get to take some dulcolax...... I had to drink a bottle of fleet phosphosoda..... It was awful. I haven't thrown up in about 10 years, and that stuff just about did it for me. I could NOT get it all down no matter how hard I tried. I don't know what the stuff you're supposed to take tastes like, but mine was disgusting. I hope yours is better. It'd be great if you could take the pills instead! I was also supposed to drink a lot of water as I was drinking the phosphosoda, and I had to drink some just to keep it down, but the more water you drink, the more water will come out of your rear....It sounds awful, but it's almost like peeing out of your backside. It's not as bad as it sounds, but just be prepared for it. You know you're clean, when clean water comes out.Also wanted to add that the colonoscopy itself is a piece of cake. They knock you out so you don't feel a thing. So don't be nervous. Once you're called in, the nurse gets you prepped, and explains to you what's going to happen. Then s/he asks you to roll over on your side, gives you a shot of something in your IV, and you're out instantly. Then when they're done, they'll wake you up and you won't remember it at all. You'll have a LOT of air in your intestines, so you'll be passing gas like crazy.
lol But don't be embarrassed. They encourage it and want you to do it. Besides, you'll feel better once you do_Overall, it really is nothing to be nervous about. I had it done when I was 17 and I was so scared, but if I had to do it again, I don't think it would bother me at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.