Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I had to do my colonscopy prep. My doctor uses the Nulytly product line. I chose the orange flavor. The taste wasn't bad and the texture was bearable, but the quantity was a little daunting. My instruction called for me to drink the whole gallon, but a contrarian I went with the package inserts instruction of drink until you are running free and clear. For me that turned out to be about 2/3 to 3/4 of the gallon. I then had to follow up a hour later with 4 Ducolax. Two things I did which I think made things go easier. 1. I ate no solid food after Friday, just clear soups and drinks. I hoped it would mean less Nulytly today and think it worked. 2. I washed my mouth out with Lavoris before each glass and followed with a few drinks of orange Gatorade. This made drinking the evil potion easier. My colonoscopy is tomorrow at 1:00pm. I will let everyone knows how it comes out.

·
Registered
326 Posts
RW, glad to hear that the prep was not that bad. I have to do this in a few weeks. However I have to take 3 dulcolax tablets 2 nights before the colonoscopy. Then the next day I have to stay on liquids only. Late in the afternoon I start to drink the Colylte. They gave me several different flavor packs to pick from.

·
Registered
326 Posts
RW, glad to hear that the prep was not that bad. I have to do this in a few weeks. However I have to take 3 dulcolax tablets 2 nights before the colonoscopy. Then the next day I have to stay on liquids only. Late in the afternoon I start to drink the Colylte. They gave me several different flavor packs to pick from.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Good luck to both of you. Let us know how things go.Did the Ducolax flush more stools out? Did it cause cramps?It would be great if we could have all the Threads in one place for others to see. Since my prep did not clean me all out I am printing out what everyone uses and giving to my Doctor who wants to do it again!Please see these threads on the Colonoscopy Forum!! http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/f...er=28&SUBMIT=Go ------------------Take care, Forever Vikee

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Good luck to both of you. Let us know how things go.Did the Ducolax flush more stools out? Did it cause cramps?It would be great if we could have all the Threads in one place for others to see. Since my prep did not clean me all out I am printing out what everyone uses and giving to my Doctor who wants to do it again!Please see these threads on the Colonoscopy Forum!! http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/f...er=28&SUBMIT=Go ------------------Take care, Forever Vikee

·
Registered
766 Posts
I had GoLytely, not the flavored NuLytely...not sure of all the differences. But with my prep, I wasn't allowed to even have water after I started the prep...I guess so I didn't dilute the stuff? But having something better-tasting to help wash away that vile taste would have helped... I felt sicker and sicker as I drank it, then ended up throwing up a cupful, but kept drinking...after the next cup I threw up a whole bellyful
Doc cancelled the test cuz I wouldn't be cleaned out in time, and the next time we used a prep that involved a couple of laxitives and then enemas the morning of the test...but I could keep drinking Sprite and stuff til midnight the night before the test. I think half the reason I puked up the GoLytely was because my blood sugar was low, which makes me nauseated. And the taste is pretty vile. But a little stomach-calming, blood-sugar-raising Sprite would have made a huge difference, I think.I'm surprised your dr had you taking Ducolax (a laxitive, right?) after things were running clear with the Nulytley...what more is there to clean out???

·
Registered
766 Posts
I had GoLytely, not the flavored NuLytely...not sure of all the differences. But with my prep, I wasn't allowed to even have water after I started the prep...I guess so I didn't dilute the stuff? But having something better-tasting to help wash away that vile taste would have helped... I felt sicker and sicker as I drank it, then ended up throwing up a cupful, but kept drinking...after the next cup I threw up a whole bellyful
Doc cancelled the test cuz I wouldn't be cleaned out in time, and the next time we used a prep that involved a couple of laxitives and then enemas the morning of the test...but I could keep drinking Sprite and stuff til midnight the night before the test. I think half the reason I puked up the GoLytely was because my blood sugar was low, which makes me nauseated. And the taste is pretty vile. But a little stomach-calming, blood-sugar-raising Sprite would have made a huge difference, I think.I'm surprised your dr had you taking Ducolax (a laxitive, right?) after things were running clear with the Nulytley...what more is there to clean out???

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well everything went fine. They found 3 small polyps(lab report should be back soon, Doc had no concerns, but sent them to lab as procedure) which they removed, small hemmorhoids which I knew about already, and took care of my yearly digital prostate exam as a favor. The test itself was a breeze after the prep. They started the drip and then I woke up and went home. By the time I got home I was wide awake. I was hungry, but not hungry if you know what I mean. Now that I have verified what I always thought(that nothing serious was wrong with me) I can start looking at other alternatives for handling this problem.As for the prep, yes the dulcolax did clean me out a little more, which was a surprise after being in the bathroom for 7 hours. The difference between Colytley and Nulytley is the amount of salts. The Nulytley has 52% less which might make it somewhat more palatable. I had no cramps from anything, just a sore butt from wiping and sitting
.I would suggest that anybody who has concerns about this procedure to relax. Do the best you can with the prep and realize that that is the worst part.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well everything went fine. They found 3 small polyps(lab report should be back soon, Doc had no concerns, but sent them to lab as procedure) which they removed, small hemmorhoids which I knew about already, and took care of my yearly digital prostate exam as a favor. The test itself was a breeze after the prep. They started the drip and then I woke up and went home. By the time I got home I was wide awake. I was hungry, but not hungry if you know what I mean. Now that I have verified what I always thought(that nothing serious was wrong with me) I can start looking at other alternatives for handling this problem.As for the prep, yes the dulcolax did clean me out a little more, which was a surprise after being in the bathroom for 7 hours. The difference between Colytley and Nulytley is the amount of salts. The Nulytley has 52% less which might make it somewhat more palatable. I had no cramps from anything, just a sore butt from wiping and sitting
.I would suggest that anybody who has concerns about this procedure to relax. Do the best you can with the prep and realize that that is the worst part.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
RW, glad everything went so well.Thanks for this information:The difference between Colytley and Nulytley is the amount of salts. The Nulytley has 52% less which might make it somewhat more palatable.------------------Take care, Forever Vikee

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
RW, glad everything went so well.Thanks for this information:The difference between Colytley and Nulytley is the amount of salts. The Nulytley has 52% less which might make it somewhat more palatable.------------------Take care, Forever Vikee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.