Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 20 years old and have been having IBS-D symptoms for about six months, ever since I had an appendicectomy in April. I have seen a general practitioner and a gastroenterologist who have all suspected IBS as being the cause of my probs after having normal blood and stool tests. The gastro has suggested that the next step would be a colonscopy, though he said that he doesn't think it will reveal anything abnormal. My parents are going crazy as they are really worried that my symptoms indicate something serious (My mum's dad and only brother died from colon cancer) - but I know how unlikely it is to be something serious, and realise how common IBS is. I just wanted opinions from you guys about whether it is worth me getting a colonscopy and endoscopy...I have a gut feeling that it won't show anything, but is it worth getting just for my parents' peace of mind?!Thanks
POLLY

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Oh Polly, This goes for stuff besides IBS too... At your age hon, do stuff for YOUR peace of mind, not your folks.I know that sounds harsh, but it is true hon. You are an adult, YOU make decisions FOR you, no one else now. You may not be used to thinking that way because you are a new adult. But you ARE an adult and it that decision is something you must decide for yourself. And yeah, it may be the first big one for you, but hopefully, only the beginning of your life of independence, filled with your own choices.What do you want to do? Do you want a colonoscopy? If you do, ask for one. If you don't want one, don't have one.((((Polly)))) Welcome to adulthood.
I bet you make an excellent one!BQ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.