Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an infrequent visitor to this board, but thought I would just share a current happening. As background, I've had IBS-C for 36 years, but of course was only diagnosed in the late '80's. I manage it with probiotics, exercise, water, Intestinew, MOM when it gets bad, sometimes lactulose, sometimes Miralax; enemas when it's really bad. You all know the drill. I am very aware of my disease and have tried a myriad number of products over the years, many of which didn't work after a while.Well, I needed a refill of the lactulose and called my GI's office. He had medically retired and the office never told me. My former GI was very good--he would always ask me what I was doing and if I had found any natural products to use. He took notes and would pass them on to his other patients.So, I made an appointment with his replacement GI doctor. Well, after waiting an hour and a half for the doctor (grr), he came in and said: have you considered using more fiber??? I couldn't believe that he said that to me. My former doctor knew and had it in my file that too much fiber caused me more problems--got all clogged up. Then he said that I needed a colonoscopy.I did liquid diet for a day and then that evening drank the bottle of Halflytly. I thought that my last BM was clear after being up all night. So, they put me under to do the colonoscopy. Next thing I know, I was in Recovery and the nurse said he couldn't do the test and that my prep didn't clean me out good enough.The doctor came in and said the same thing. Then he asked if I had followed the liquid diet and then drank the jug of fluid. Yes, I said. Then he asked me if I had the big jug or the little jug. I said the little jug and I added that I had had the big jug in the past. He said to me: "Why didn't you tell me???" I had had a colonoscopy 8 years ago--I didn't know if the test prep had changed or whatever. This really got me mad. Then he said, we need to do this again (this test was on Friday and he wanted to do it again on Monday), only this time, do 2 days of liquid diet and the large bottle of liquid and a Citrate of magnesia. I was ready to leave with my husband and was really looking forward to breakfast. The nurse heard me and said, oh, no, you can't eat till after the test on Monday. That would have been 4 days without solid food. I canceled the test and rescheduled it for this Wednesday. Today is my first day of liquid diet. I'm so perturbed by the whole thing.Has this ever happened to any of you?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Issues with prep can happen, as can scheduling difficulties.I had them lose the paperwork and so they didn't schedule my surgery so I ended up bleeding for an extra couple of months before they could take care of the problem. Wasn't bad enough to get an emergency appointment and I went to the bottom of the waiting list when they finally figured out how to do the paperwork right. (It was two months to get scheduled and so I waited two months for the November date and then had to wait another two months for a January one).Hope things go well and you get the new doctor broken in. Unfortunately when you need something different than the usual it sometimes takes awhile to get that information well communicated.

·
Banned
240 Posts
So you prepped and were sedated all because some idiot gave you thewrong prep script?Who made the mistake? Usually the script for the prep is writtenby the physician or his hurse or pa.Clear case of medical malpractice but too small of an issue to taketo court. Yet another example of how our system is screwed up.Why do you need the colonoscopy? Is it because of your age,just routine screening? Or because of symptoms.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SunNsnow, the doctor wrote the prescription, but if I was supposed to have the large bottle of prep stuff, then that was in my file from the last colonoscopy (8 years ago). Nobody reads the stupid file!I'm having the colonscopy for routine reasons; it's been 8 years and because of my IBS-C, this doctor wants to see if anything has changed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a follow-up. On 14 April, I had the colonoscopy again and this time the prep worked. The GI found a small polyp and diverticulosis. He was not very concerned, but he told me that I need to increase fiber intake. I told him that too much fiber causes me problems with constipation. It's a never ending battle.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Glad it is over and that it went smoothly this time!Well I would look into maybe using some different forms of fiber than what you have previously tried? Or combining different types of fiber??Soluble fiber for sure could make constipation worse. However.. insoluble fiber may help speed things up and help you with the diver.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm glad you got through it & that nothing more serious was found. My DH has diverticulosis & he drinks metamucil but he has a tendency toward diarrhea. When I use a fiber drink it constipates me worse, if that's possible. I started a CS prep the 3rd time & each time I passed out from low blood sugar & still haven't had a CS.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
There is No reason to pass out from low blood sugar while prepping.You ARE allowed clear fluids.... like white grape juice.. Lemon flavored Gatorade (which has plenty of electrolytes and sugar in it) etc.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks BQ! I thought that also but it seems that the more sweet drinks I drank the sicker I got. I was also allowed 2 drinks similar to Insure but it didn't help either, neither did broth. It seems I must have protein. I also have Dysautonomia which made it worse.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I thought that also but it seems that the more sweet drinks I drank the sicker I got.
I seriously doubt your blood sugar that was low then.I would offer that you could go over other options for the examination of your colon with your Dr.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've written this before but here in New Zealand it's common to prescribe a whole kiwifruit/day eaten with the skin on to help with constipation without upping the fibre too much. My 77 year old father in law is doing this for his diverticulitis with good results. If you aren't sure try a small amount and work up.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Abnormal, glad everything went OK. I've been thru 3 colonoscopies from hell and my new dr. will only do it while I'm under (propofol). The prep is horrid but for me it was worse being awake and crying thru the whole ordeal. Anyhow, so happy it is over for you until another 8 years!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I checked my glucose levels throughout the day. It had dropped to 40 & the monitor was blinking. I usually pass out if I let it get any lower. I've been dealing with this for many years so I know what to expect. I have other health issues that probably contribute also.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thank you all for your concerns. The polyp was benign--thank God!Tiss, as far as I know, colonoscopies here are always while under anesthesia. I cannot imagine doing it while the patient is awake!Jillywindy, never heard of the Kiwi fruit idea. Unfortunately, I'm not fond of that fruit, but it's probably worth a try.BQ, Gosh, I've tried every type of fiber on the planet, soluble and insoluble. I also eat fiber rich cereals, eat whole wheat bread, salads, fruit, etc. Too much fiber supplement makes my C worse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.