Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this one is a new one to me. I had a colonoscopy a little over a year ago. Went back to the gastro guy to go over some things. He said at that time my colon was not a "pink" color, but a "brownish" color inside which usually is the color of someone who has abused laxatives. At the time I was IBS/D, but still I never took laxatives more than once a year if even that and it wasn't more than a dose of milk of magnesium. (like I said I was IBS/D). He asked even as a child? I asked my mom, she said no. I'm just a little confused on this one, have any of you heard this? And since I never took laxatives what's the deal? (I've since changed to IBS/C due to alot of endo surgery, and the most I take is Citracel and that isn't even daily). Go figure????

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
What he saw is called melanosis coli. In most cases, it is a indirect result of using anthraquinone laxatives like senna. It appears, however, that can occur independently of using these laxatives 1) in association with inflammatory bowel disease, 2) consuming something weird (e.g, Japanese leaf extract, 3) aging, and 4) even spontaneously. Did he biopsy it?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
What he saw is called melanosis coli. In most cases, it is a indirect result of using anthraquinone laxatives like senna. It appears, however, that can occur independently of using these laxatives 1) in association with inflammatory bowel disease, 2) consuming something weird (e.g, Japanese leaf extract, 3) aging, and 4) even spontaneously. Did he biopsy it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The areas were tested and it was just inflammation. The only other thing I had was ulcers. He just said due to the IBS I will probably never have a "normal" colon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The areas were tested and it was just inflammation. The only other thing I had was ulcers. He just said due to the IBS I will probably never have a "normal" colon.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:it was just inflammation
Something doesn't sound right with that. Inflammation should be investigated and is not related to IBS.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:it was just inflammation
Something doesn't sound right with that. Inflammation should be investigated and is not related to IBS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts