Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found a website all about peppermint oil capsules and also read a small article in paper recently stating it is helpful in IBS. Anyone tried it? Not sold in US available in England. Thanks for any response. At wits end. Tried everything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey,My doctor also prescribed colpermin. I take it on and off, it is suposed to calm spasms in your gut. The truth is that I cannot tell you ho it works or not, because I don't follow instructions too good, so I dont take it as I am suposed too. However, if I take if and then dont eat for the whole day (which is often) it burns coming out if you know what I mean.Peppermint tea however helps me immensely so I imagine peppermint oil would too. My sugesstion is to try it, it cant hurt you.It's available here in the Caribbean.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,My doctor also prescribed colpermin. I take it on and off, it is suposed to calm spasms in your gut. The truth is that I cannot tell you ho it works or not, because I don't follow instructions too good, so I dont take it as I am suposed too. However, if I take if and then dont eat for the whole day (which is often) it burns coming out if you know what I mean.Peppermint tea however helps me immensely so I imagine peppermint oil would too. My sugesstion is to try it, it cant hurt you.It's available here in the Caribbean.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Colpermin might not be available in the U.S., but I found another peppermint oil supplement that is. Solaray makes it. Besides peppermint oil (250 mg per tablet), each Solaray cap contains quercetin (100 mg), rosemary oil (50 mg), thyme oil (50 mg), and chamomile (50 mg). I've been taking them before or with meals. My diarrhea and cramping have been much less severe than they had been for the past six months, but I'm not chalking it up to the peppermint oil yet. I'm also taking a month off from my day gig to write, working out almost every day, and sleeping as much as I want. Plus I started taking Garden of Life HSO Probiotic Formula at about the same time. Something's helping, or it's pure chance. Too soon to tell. However, check out Solaray if you're interested in trying the peppermint oil caps.Love,Lydia

·
Registered
269 Posts
Colpermin might not be available in the U.S., but I found another peppermint oil supplement that is. Solaray makes it. Besides peppermint oil (250 mg per tablet), each Solaray cap contains quercetin (100 mg), rosemary oil (50 mg), thyme oil (50 mg), and chamomile (50 mg). I've been taking them before or with meals. My diarrhea and cramping have been much less severe than they had been for the past six months, but I'm not chalking it up to the peppermint oil yet. I'm also taking a month off from my day gig to write, working out almost every day, and sleeping as much as I want. Plus I started taking Garden of Life HSO Probiotic Formula at about the same time. Something's helping, or it's pure chance. Too soon to tell. However, check out Solaray if you're interested in trying the peppermint oil caps.Love,Lydia

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
peppermint oil doesn't work at all because it causes reflux and heartburn Unfortunately, all of those advertised herbal remedies are a complete waste of money Onle pepcid Prevacid have done any good

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
peppermint oil doesn't work at all because it causes reflux and heartburn Unfortunately, all of those advertised herbal remedies are a complete waste of money Onle pepcid Prevacid have done any good

·
Registered
89 Posts
Enteric coated peppermint should not give you indigestion.I get mine at a health food store and they have really helped me over the past month that I have been taking them.Peppermint normally gives me indigestion but the enteric coated doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Enteric coated peppermint should not give you indigestion.I get mine at a health food store and they have really helped me over the past month that I have been taking them.Peppermint normally gives me indigestion but the enteric coated doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just a note o let you know the other things that have helped me immensely. Perdiem Fiber Therapy in the brown bottle , ( has no laxative in it ), it has taken the urgency of diarrhea away and my stools are more formed than they have been in a long time . I also take digestive enzymes and enteric coated peppermint capsules 30 minutes before each meal and acidolphilous ( refrigerated as it has active cultures ) and calcium . These have all helped my diarrhea and stomach spasms and urgency . I also take otc Pepcid, I have learned that the stomach produces histamine and that can sometimes prompt diarrhea , an acid blocker helps with this problem. I hope this will help someone , it certainly has helped me. I am no longer fearful of going out and that is a wonderful feeling that I have not had in a long time until recently.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just a note o let you know the other things that have helped me immensely. Perdiem Fiber Therapy in the brown bottle , ( has no laxative in it ), it has taken the urgency of diarrhea away and my stools are more formed than they have been in a long time . I also take digestive enzymes and enteric coated peppermint capsules 30 minutes before each meal and acidolphilous ( refrigerated as it has active cultures ) and calcium . These have all helped my diarrhea and stomach spasms and urgency . I also take otc Pepcid, I have learned that the stomach produces histamine and that can sometimes prompt diarrhea , an acid blocker helps with this problem. I hope this will help someone , it certainly has helped me. I am no longer fearful of going out and that is a wonderful feeling that I have not had in a long time until recently.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Enteric coated peppermint pills helped me only occasionally-not with any consistency. I did not feel comfortable having a BM with a burning sensation, which can be a side effect from taking too many pills. However, if I did not take enough, I still experienced D. Lotronex soon came on the market-therefore, my peppermint pills went to the trash.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Enteric coated peppermint pills helped me only occasionally-not with any consistency. I did not feel comfortable having a BM with a burning sensation, which can be a side effect from taking too many pills. However, if I did not take enough, I still experienced D. Lotronex soon came on the market-therefore, my peppermint pills went to the trash.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I'm from the UK & was prescribed Colpermin in May when my doctor thought I had IBS. I took them for two days with no great result, in fact the pain & cramps (before going to the loo) got much worse. Probably because I didn't have IBS (after flexible sigmoidoscopy have been told it's some type of inflammation, not sure what yet).

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I'm from the UK & was prescribed Colpermin in May when my doctor thought I had IBS. I took them for two days with no great result, in fact the pain & cramps (before going to the loo) got much worse. Probably because I didn't have IBS (after flexible sigmoidoscopy have been told it's some type of inflammation, not sure what yet).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didn't find Colpermin very effective....not olny was the tablet very hard to swallow (I'm not very good at swallowing pills) but I noticed no change in my condition. Peppermint tea is definatly a good solution....I've never tried normal sweet nints, but I'm sure that has the same effect as my mum eats Polo Mints by the truckload

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.