Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am a 31 years old french Canadian who is looking for idees on how to help my confidence to leave the house without always thinking about my bowels or toilet. I developed IBS light D & C later on (more problems to wait to go to toilet Urge and could go alot of times per day then anything else). I am taking chinese herbal medicine about one month and half now and my condition is getting better each week. I am at a point now that i could go outside have some small car ride, etc...and i have to work on my confidence slowly after all these years having problems. Any of you have idees on how to manage outside far from the toilet basically confident and sometime urge because it is not completely away yet and i would like to continu improve myself so that I will be able to have a better life? Thanks for the answers and good luck to all of you. Chris PS: Fell free to e-mail me at alc99###videotron.ca if you are interested to exchange idees by e-mail or even have a little chat with someone who will understand you.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You've come to the right place. We're all experiencing the same thing. I've been working on my diet. I bought the book "Eating for IBS" from Chapters written by Heather Van Vorous. Its been a lifesaver! I'm sure you'll here more about it on this bulletin board. I just try to really enjoy the good days and if I'm having a particularly bad day, I stay home and try not to feel guilty about it. I've been IBS-D now for about 5 years and it sucks sometimes but I just have to stay positive, otherwise I think I'll go crazy. I am also telling more of my friends about it and that helps with my worry about what people will think if I have to go to the washroom all the time. Good Luck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You've come to the right place. We're all experiencing the same thing. I've been working on my diet. I bought the book "Eating for IBS" from Chapters written by Heather Van Vorous. Its been a lifesaver! I'm sure you'll here more about it on this bulletin board. I just try to really enjoy the good days and if I'm having a particularly bad day, I stay home and try not to feel guilty about it. I've been IBS-D now for about 5 years and it sucks sometimes but I just have to stay positive, otherwise I think I'll go crazy. I am also telling more of my friends about it and that helps with my worry about what people will think if I have to go to the washroom all the time. Good Luck.

·
Registered
605 Posts
CC--Getting my bowels to behave was been easier than getting my mind to behave, so I know just how you feel. Many of us here do. After so many years of accidents and near-accidents, it's difficult to resume some normalcy. For me, for the first 6-8 months after my bowels calmed down (I started taking Questran and it works for me) I would never leave the house without my napsack with a change of clothes and wet wipes. I took that bag everywhere I went. And, I convinced myself that the absolute worst thing that could happen is that I'd have to use the clothes sometime. It never happened. Now, I don't carry those clothes, but my bowels are always in the back of my mind. I push and push myself mentally, but most importantly, I watch what I eat, knowing that one false move could set me right back. I guess what I'm saying is take baby steps, and use a change of clothes as a security blanket and confidence boost. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
605 Posts
CC--Getting my bowels to behave was been easier than getting my mind to behave, so I know just how you feel. Many of us here do. After so many years of accidents and near-accidents, it's difficult to resume some normalcy. For me, for the first 6-8 months after my bowels calmed down (I started taking Questran and it works for me) I would never leave the house without my napsack with a change of clothes and wet wipes. I took that bag everywhere I went. And, I convinced myself that the absolute worst thing that could happen is that I'd have to use the clothes sometime. It never happened. Now, I don't carry those clothes, but my bowels are always in the back of my mind. I push and push myself mentally, but most importantly, I watch what I eat, knowing that one false move could set me right back. I guess what I'm saying is take baby steps, and use a change of clothes as a security blanket and confidence boost. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
511 Posts
what you describe is the crux of our dysfunction. most of us are defined by exactly what you intimate to us. there is no panacea only certain tricks(mind control, dietary etc.)that might help us some of the time but fail us at others. my only advice is when in doubt do venture out; because if you do and return without incident the positive reinforcement is invaluable.

·
Registered
511 Posts
what you describe is the crux of our dysfunction. most of us are defined by exactly what you intimate to us. there is no panacea only certain tricks(mind control, dietary etc.)that might help us some of the time but fail us at others. my only advice is when in doubt do venture out; because if you do and return without incident the positive reinforcement is invaluable.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
CC, this is pretty common in IBS and I recommend you read over the CBT/HT and anxiety forum for information that will help you.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
CC, this is pretty common in IBS and I recommend you read over the CBT/HT and anxiety forum for information that will help you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.