Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When suffering from a common cold what do you take medication wise to treat the cold and avoid triggering an IBS attack? I have been suffering from a cold since Thursday and I cannot take Sudafed due to a sensitivity that causes my heart to race uncontrollably (last time I was hospitalized). When I finally broke down yesterday and took Benadryl, I wound up triggering an IBS attack with severe stomach spasms and diarrhea. Unfortunately with this cold I feel horrible but I would like to have something clear up the congestion but not cause me to suffer an IBS attack. Thanks in advance for recommendations.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most decongestants are also stimulants and antihistamines usually don't do much for decongesting although they aren't that prone to trigger diarrhea (and just having a cold can trigger IBS symptoms even if you took nothing) but some people have odd reactions.Have you tried a neti pot? It is a manual rinsing out of the nasal passages, but that does work for some people and usually has no side effects (other than feeling funny or being awkward).You might do better with a nasal decongestant spray or talk to the doctor about a nasal steroid. They limit the amount of medication that gets into the body. But the spray decongestants can cause bounce back symptoms so some people really need to use them for just a couple of days at a time.There is also vicks vaporub under the nose or on your chest. Sometimes breathing the extra menthol will open things up. They even have plug ins or things you can drop in the shower to get some menthol to breathe in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't tried a neti pot and the idea makes me a bit nervous to attempt using one on my own. The Vicks vapor rub has been my friend here at home but when I need to return to work tomorrow it would be a bit overpowering for my cube mate who has a chemical sensitivity (she's way to nice to torment with Vicks all day and I rather not see her out with a migraine after she covered the workload for me while I was out). Although I wasn't aware of the shower option. Thanks for the idea on the nasal steroid...I'll call my doctor first thing in the morning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.