Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I joined because I was diagnosed with IBS over 10 years ago, and realized I was lactose intolerant around the same time. I developed symptoms of GERD a little over a year ago, and have drastically cut back on acidic foods. Over the past several months I've cut out mayo, most butter/marg, and eat salad plain (lettuce still doesn't like me, tho). The IBS is hit-or-miss, as some foods are okay one day and give me trouble the next. Lately, a different quadrant of my tummy has been sounding off and I'm getting frustrated trying to find things I can eat without discomfort!Last night I was awakened by tightness and pain in my upper right abdomen, right under my rib cage. I looked up my symptoms on a popular medical website a few days back (I've had this problem for about a week now). I am pretty sure my gall bladder is having issues. Now it seems I have to cut out any other foods that are greasy, oily or otherwise fatty, in addition to axing acidic foods and gas-producing veggies, and limiting milk products (I take lactaid ultra but still get some gas).I've been reduced to oatmeal, crackers and plain granola bars, and I still get gas and mild pain from that. It even hurts if I drink too much water at a time!! How common is it for people with IBS to develop gall bladder disease or gall stones?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
How common is it for people with IBS to develop gall bladder disease or gall stones?
I don't think there is any research that would support that. Some folks have D AFTER they have their GB's out but even that is a rare side effect of surgery.If you think you are having GB problems.. you really ought to go to your Dr.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't think IBSers get gall bladder disease any more often than anyone else. However gall bladder problems are very common and IBS is very common so there will be a pretty good number of people with both.IBSers do seem to get gall bladder surgery at a slightly higher rate than the rest of the population, but that seems to have been more that some IBSers have pain in the upper right quadrant and since the gall bladder is something you can live without there can be some doctors that do it "just in case". Not really because we get gall bladder problems more frequently.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I've read online, GB problems can stem from a diet with either too little or too much fat. It's a balance. Since I've been cutting back on so many fats for the IBS, the GB freaks out when I do have some. I had lightly buttered popcorn without problems in the past, but I tried it a couple nights ago and it wasn't 10 minutes later I had a rock of fullness in a small section of the upper right ab, and lots of gas. Another time I had plain rice with just salt, and had to stop eating after 1/2 cup because of the almost instantaneous fullness and gas. I even had acid reflux, and I wasn't wearing tight pants! It's really frustrating when the plain stuff causes problems!I'm asking around on here because I haven't had insurance for 8 years (except for a 6 mo stint last year). I can't afford to go to a Dr. I found recommended foods and menus for GB, IBS, GERD and lactose intolerance. I'm hoping I can find at least a few foods that are listed on all of them that I can get away with. This is ridiculous!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts