Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. How’s things going? Right now I’m just about freaking out. I still haven’t gotten the results back from my biopsy they did last week during my endoscopy. I’m freaking because I know about 5 people that have had various cancers (brain, breast, lung, colon, esophageal). One of them told me how a friend of hers who is a physicians assistant, did a sort of unofficial study about instances of tests. They always tell you that you will get the results in 7-10 days. However, this study that she did was what are the odds between results coming in on each day of being benign or cancerous. This is what they found. Get the results on day 7 or 8 and 95% of the time it’s come back benign, day 9 or 10 and 95% of the time it comes back cancerous. So I asked these people that I know have cancer what day their results came in. Well, one was on the 10th and the other 4 got theirs on the 9th day. One of those people also knows 2 others that have cancer of some sort and both of them were on day 10.So today for me is day 8. Only 4 hours until docs office closes.Of course everyone I know says to me not to worry about it, that I’m young (31), and I don’t smoke and I don’t drink. What they don’t understand is that with MS your immune system is basically shot, I used to drink a lot in highschool and again about 5 years ago (only on weekends though), and that I quit smoking May of 2001 but prior to that I smoked for 21 years. Yes I said 21 years, I was nine years old when I started smoking. The only times I didn’t smoke was when I was pregnant.So that’s why I’m freaking out. I want my results but I don’t want them either.Sorry to sound so flakey but this is the first time any doctor has ever found anything physically wrong and while I’m glad they finally found something I’m afraid it’s nothing good.Just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening. If not for this board I don’t know what I would do. Just writing this keeps me a little calmer.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Sandi, I think most of us here can really relate to the torture of waiting for tests and procedures and all those other things we have to go through before we csan move on to the next stage of healing.It can be rough.I know I for one, am miss antsy pants.I generally give a call to the office and say "got results yet? I'm nervous"And someone times they say no and sometimes they say...oh yes, we've been busy and haven't gotten around to it yet. Hold on, we'll go get that right now."So hang in there.Hopefully you are just expereincing a delay.Wouldn't that be nice?So let us know when you get your test results but until then, think positive thoughts because either way, they have good medicine for a lot of things now days.Even Cancer.My mother is a breast cancer survivor.She's holding well and currently she is more healthy than I am!Take care now,Kamie

·
Registered
128 Posts
SLBEL3,I�m not in your position but try not to worry so much. Even if the results are positive the success rate for recovery is excellent! Medical treatment for cancer has come a long way. My thoughts will be with you. Let us know.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand what you are both saying, but I should have also told you that as a person who has had 2 strokes I am not a candidate for any type of chemo or radiation. So basicall it would be a complete death sentence.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Sandi, if you are worried about cancer, you need to call your local cancer society and get help and support from someone in your area.There is a huge network of support set up for people with compromising diseases.My mother was asked by her oncologist to work with a support group so I know these things are a big part of our social medical structure.Good Luck,Hugs and Prayers,Kamie

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
((sandi)) I know the not knowing is the worst. The statistician in me though says your sample size of people in your survey is too small to draw conclusions. It could simply bethat your doctor's office is not all that great with the bureaucracy. I went through this the past couple of weeks. I had a mammogram 3 weeks ago. Lab mailed me saying I needed a follow up. I schedulde an appointment for last Wed and asked why but they asid only my doc could tell me. So I called the doc, they didn't have the report yet but would get back to me about what my doc wanted me to do. They finally called two days after I did the follow up saying, go ahead and have the follow up (duh) - this call took a week!!! I hounded them for the final results BTW. Luckily it came back benign.so good luck. I know it's hard but try to stay positive about this. And if it cancer, you'll find some way to deal with it I'm sure. Meanwhile, I'll think psitive thoughts for you.nancy

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Sandi, when in doubt go to the source.Here is the American Stroke association web site. http://www.strokeassociation.org/presenter...ntifier=1200037 You may find a contact threough there that will have smoe helpful answers for you.Also, here is the web form for a years free subscription to the Stroke magazine which helps to keep up with all the latest news and discoveries to help people who have suffered a stroke. http://www.strokeassociation.org/presenter...identifier=2541 Take care. and hopefully, there will soon be answers to help you.Kamie

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Sandi:I spent over 4 years worrying myself with sleepless nights and not able to live after a batter of tests for everything under the sun,always thinking the worst. As you are.I don't know I can change, but I do wish I had thought the best and not wasted so much of my life. I hope and pray your results are good, whichthey stand a 50/50 chance of being, so try notto worry - and hound that doctor's office.They should not let you go the weekend without knowing. Tell them you must know before Fridayevening.Although, I usually ran away from results onFriday evening - and then had a lousy weekendworrying even more. We all run away from results but it seems to me you need yours because youare in a panic, which may well be for nothing.O

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talked to doc, results normal. So when I asked where we go from here he said to me "well, it seems like you have had a lot done in the past before you came here and this showed nothing major so if none of that ever showed anything then it would be a waste of your time an money to go through it again."WHAT AN A**H**E!!!!!!thanks for the prayers and good thoughts.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Well thank goodness for small miracles. At least you can now rest regarding the Cancer department.However, if you still feel incomplete where your medical care goes, maybe it's time for another consult.Even if all that can be done is being done, you have to feel comfortable with letting things rest where they are.At least a second opinion should be considered before settling on a decision.So happy to hear your good news.There is hope,Kamie

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Phew. Thank goodness. But I agree, a second opinion would be a good idea since this doctor has no answers.And a third. A doctor friend of mine once told me that one should always get three opinions. One gets confused with two sometimes because they disagree, and a third is often needed to get a good perspective. That was before HMO's. But two is a good idea and insurance usually pays for a second opinion.Good luck.O

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Sandi, I am really happy to hear this for you. I am sure its a major relief for you and again happy to hear this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.