Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I always had IBS where I had gas, diarrhea, acid reflux, etc which was relatively inconsequential to my life. However when I injured my back a few years ago the so called IBS got extremely painful and bloated 24x7 and expanded my other symptomology considerably. What happened and why won’t it go away? One theory is that the back injury further threw off already poor motility, which could be considered nerve related injury. Now that my motility is toast and I have IBS anyhow, very severe bacterial bloating has been occurring expanding and enhancing the cycle of sickness. Also there is some possibility of an infection having occurred during the term to cause “post infectious” IBS.Most importantly though is that I tried about 10 courses of different antibiotics for this and other reasons over this time, and prior. Each time making me feel extra sick, except the rifaximin which had no effect. In fact many of the antibiotic sickness symptoms that were new to my last Amox. regimen remain a year later - new places and terrible feelings of intestinal pain.So to expand the theory here:We know dozens if not hundreds of gut bacteria species live in symbiotic balance with their hosts. (Basically live ‘animals’ that are dependant on us and we are dependant upon.) They speak realtime with nerve receptors in the bowel wall and therein have a direct path to the brain. Also we know very little is understood about these bacteria and how they work together, whereas many other aspects of digestion are well understood.We also know antibiotics kill bacteria – good and bad. In theory some of this is replaceable. Even if foreign pathenogenic bacteria are not present it seems very likely that an already compromised person could easily kill off some good bacteria in an effort to attack the bad, permanently altering the symbiotic relationship between bacterium and host and permanently leaving one out of homeostasis - sick, pained, bloated, unable to digest, sleep disturbed, etc. So for me: I had weak bowels, I hurt back and got nerve motility problems including the gut, antibiotics killed off some beneficial bacteria forever. And here I am.This makes perfect painful sense in many regards. But the problem is that the doctors send me in seemingly less logical directions, always concluding with severe IBS, or ‘we don’t know’ or some similar version. Also the mental insinuations are insulting considering the psychiatrists have been very explicit that I have an organic illness, and I never had a doubt. (No fun trying to convince people you aren’t crazy, tends to have the opposite effect.) No pills or cures work, in fact quite the opposite. The tests don’t show anything conclusive although many have hinted at things that doctors disregarded, most likely for good reason. The breath test apparently shows nothing other than mild lactose problem although Enterolab said high gluten sensitivity and lactose etc.So if I have extreme bacterial unwellness how come the breath test was inconclusive, and more importantly how can I be treated? Another point is that a neurologist has discounted the relationship between my L5-S1 back injury and my lower left bowel pain. So is he wrong?I’ve decided to study this stuff almost full time because its my only hope at having a life, so I will post what I learn. I plan on winning like I did in business before I got so sick. Hope to communicate with the other learners out there.Peace-M

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe it's either inflammation which causes the irritated bowel or hormones which affect motility which then creates the bad bacteria, which then causes the irritated bowel.The fact that you hurt your back, lends support to the inflammation theory. I also have arthritis in my back.Both the inflammation theory and the hormonal (endocrine) theory are both caused by the chemicals the food manufacturers put into our food, and/or some antibiotics to help start the whole mess. Why else would there be so many of us. I have had bad eyes for years. I am constantly getting mucous out of my eyes. And then you have mucous in your colon. I did read once that although they can't see the inflammation in IBS that if they do a biopsy they do find inflammation.I also read that the bacteria overgrowth is caused because the motility is out of whack and the food just sits there and rots. Made sense to me. I have started enzymes to see if it helps. I tried them once before but I was not consistent enough in taking them, so now I am trying to be more consistent and to take them at every meal.On the endocrine theory, I take anti-stress herbs to relax my colon.Susie

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Micro,You're analysis of the situation in relation to antibiotics and overgrowth of bad bacteria/parasites seems spot on to me. You're situation is very similar to my own, the question is what to do about it.My present plan is to take a 10 day course of Rifampicin to kill the bad bacteria, followed by a 10 day HPI treatment to replace the good guys. The HPI treatment will also kill any bad guys (including their spores) that the meds failed to kill.Here is my story:http://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f...261/m/368101152Here is some more details about HPI:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_bacteriotherapy

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:One theory is that the back injury further threw off already poor motility, which could be considered nerve related injury. Now that my motility is toast and I have IBS anyhow, very severe bacterial bloating h
Why do you think you have "poor" motility?What is "bacterial bloating"?
quote:unable to digest
IBS does not affect digestion.
quote:Another point is that a neurologist has discounted the relationship between my L5-S1 back injury and my lower left bowel pain. So is he wrong?
No, he is correct.
quote:Both the inflammation theory and the hormonal (endocrine) theory are both caused by the chemicals the food manufacturers put into our food,
Spare us.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why do you think you have "poor" motility?---because stuff gets trapped and bloated like hell in parts of my system and when moves its painful and very erratic and abnormal resultsWhat is "bacterial bloating"? --when the bacteria keep trying to breakdown and eliminate sugars and proteins in me but it doesnt work - so feeds on itself and I bloat like a balloon and feel as suchquote:unable to digest IBS does not affect digestion.-digestion is the entire process - if one is bloated or constipated or diahhrea or immotile etc its all part of digestion no doubtquote:Another point is that a neurologist has discounted the relationship between my L5-S1 back injury and my lower left bowel pain. So is he wrong? No, he is correct.--you are a neurologist too, but you dont know anything about my back injury I dont think?quote:Both the inflammation theory and the hormonal (endocrine) theory are both caused by the chemicals the food manufacturers put into our food, Spare us.--I didint say this but Im sure that the chemicals and sugars cause significant harm to compomised people just like medicines such as antibiotics and steroids and painkillers could (anything unnatural in a weakened person) - healthy people can handle anything until its too late--Candida does not cause IBS. Lactose is generally not a cause of IBS symptoms. IBSers do not have excess gas; gas generally does not cause bloating. All IBSers should be tested for bacterial overgrowth. IBSers have normal digestion and absorption. IBSers do not have excess gas. "Spasms" are not really an IBS symptom. Homeopathy is a hoax. Colloidal silver is not safe. Fluoride and amalgam fillings are safe. ---how could you be so sure of yourself without even going to medical school - all the doctors say they arent sure --- I bet you are mostly right - but we dont know which ones you are right about so no reason to bet on any of it

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:-because stuff gets trapped and bloated like hell in parts of my system and when moves its painful and very erratic and abnormal results
Bloating is not necessarily related to motility. Pain is not necessarily related to motility.
quote:--when the bacteria keep trying to breakdown and eliminate sugars and proteins in me but it doesnt work - so feeds on itself and I bloat like a balloon and feel as such
This makes no sense. The digestive system breaks down nutrients. Bacteria operate only on undigested material. Bloating could conceivably result from too much of this, but generally it's not related.
quote:-digestion is the entire process - if one is bloated or constipated or diahhrea or immotile etc its all part of digestion no doubt
No, it's not. Digestion is the specifically the breakdown of food to extract and absorb the nutrients.
quote:--you are a neurologist too, but you dont know anything about my back injury I dont think?
Enough to guess it's not connected to your problem.
quote:--I didint say this but Im sure that the chemicals and sugars cause significant harm to compomised people just
But it doesn't.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gee Flux, if you know so much, why don't you just cure IBS and we wouldn't have to have this discussion.If you know so much, let us in on all the secrets you are holding back.I was just trying to contribute what I had read. There was no need to attack me. Maybe you could try and contribute rather than attack what other people think.

·
Registered
247 Posts
IBS is defined by a set of symptoms. Some of the researchers that are investigating this area have noted that there are many complex factors that play a role in how digestion proceeds. Some of the situations that lead to IBS symptoms include: food allergies; celiac disease; parasites; bacterial deficits (of the good kinds that make the enzymes you need to digest things); and bacterial imbalances (too much of the bad kinds);Testing for these things can often identify a treatable situation, which, when treated, results in decreased or eliminated IBS symptoms. Few doctors test for these things, especially food allergies. To find food allergies that cause IBS symptoms it is necessary to test the blood for the antibodies that respond to specific foods. This is done using the ELISA methodology and is quite difficult to do properly (so you get repeatable results) and so there are only a few labs in the world doing this work with accuracy and precision. IBS symptoms are often part of a complex situation. Good luck finding a doctor who is willing to do the testing that can uncover the underlying situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.