Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new to this forum.Recently diagnosed with IBS (mainly c often but sometimes d & always SEVERE gas pains).Was started 3 days ago on "Dicetel" (Canada) 50 mg x 3 to become 100 x 3 in 2 weeks.Also started Midol in attempt to ease pain (as seen on forum)Want to find out all I can - looking for "comprehensive" list & relevant characteristics of all foods (good, bad & indifferent).Do realize that each of us reacts differently to each food, but knowing general characteristics of each would give me a starting point.Right now, wish to eat bland, monitor results & add in other things gradually, but do not know where to start - assumptions can be wrong & often are with food characteristics.Looked at many sites - good info (but scattered only - a bit on this , a bit on that etc. - often contradictory) & forums - but little comprehensive on ALL foods potential reactivity - "in one long list".Requesting any comprehensive info sources from you good people. Have ordered "IBS Relief" (by Burstall, Vallis & Turnbull) as recommended by "Dial a Dietician" in Vancouver for a starter.THANK YOU - Jenn[This message has been edited by JenniferA (edited 12-30-2000).]

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi Jennifer, I've been taking Dicetel since approx. March 2000. I found after a while, I didn't need as much so now I only take 1/2 tablet once a day unless I eat something I think will be a problem and then I take a second 1/2 tablet at dinnertime. I have had IBS for over 30 years and this is the best I have ever felt!I think diet is very individualistic. What is effective for me won't necessarily work for you. I am on a low carbs diet and I indentified numerous trigger foods I can't eat. Keep reading and you will learn lots!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One resource that may help is www.iffgd.org They publish a newsletter called Participate.I think you can order back issues of the newsletter on the site (my GI doc gives me a bunch of them when I go visit, so I've never had to try to get a back issue). They have some articles about foods and particular symptoms.Winter 1999. Chronic Diarrhea: could it have an everyday cause. (now if your constipation predominate, you may want to add foods known to loosen up the stools).Summer 1999. Controlling gas. (this article has a list of gas causing foods).FWIW, there aren't many constipating foods, although calcium supplements are noted for doing that (and one wonders if the old sayings about cheese being binding has to do with the calcium in it) as well as a number of medications.HTHK.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am IBS C/D but I have had most of my problems with foods that cause gas which gets trapped and then I have C with pain.(Yes Flux it is gas because there is much happiness when it gets released.
)My trigger foods are the traditional ones like beans, cabbage (and most other green leafy things) broccoli, corn, onions, pepperoni. Most veggies I eat cause gas which leads to C with PAIN!!! Sometimes you don't even realize you are eating some foods like onions because they are so finely chopped and part of a mixture of ingredients. Trust me....onions seem to be in everything. I would recommend keeping a food diary. I can have an attack 3 days after eating a trigger food so I really have to watch it. It's difficult to associate the spaghetti sauce with hidden onions with my attack 2 days later but I promise you, that is what it is from. Several people on the board have trouble with greasy or fatty foods but I wonder if that is more of a D problem since I don't have these issues. Good luck with diagnosing your triggers. Stress exacerbates the problem as well so do what you can to avoid it.Best of Luck!P.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have done much research about how foods can trigger attacks. I have had a nutrionist actually give me a list of foods which helped alot. The main thing I have learned is that each individual is different. For instance, I was told to stay away from carbs. Since this started two years ago carbs have literally kept me alive. I tried to cut them out, but felt very ill and sluggish. I have decided to go back to them as they never bothered me in the first place. Like the others above, you should really try hard to identify your "triggers" as an individual. Knowledge of foods such as soluble vs. insoluble, gas producing vs. non gas producing, etc. has proven to be very beneficial for me. However,every diet created for IBS will not work for everyone. For instance, I have learned that using soy milk instead of cow's milk has really decreased my problems. Another odd thing I do now is to drink only luke warm or warm water instead of cold. The cold water tends to create a cramping sensation while the warm creates a more soothing effect. Another hard item to give up was carbonated beverages which produce excess gas for me. I hope these ideas might help you.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I must say that a very helpful tip for us C and gas types is to look at the amount of soluble vs. insoluble fiber. In many, but not all cases, soluble fiber is a nightmare for both C and gas! It is not as effective in relieveing C, and is the culprit of gas in many people. Insoluble fiber is what we need, found in corn, wheat bran and other things. A chart at www.cyberDiet.com/modules/gi/maintain/problems/fiber.html has really helped a lot and is the only place I've found such information (although I wish I could find more on it). I find avoiding soluble fiber and consuming mostly insoluble helps me a lot.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hi Jennifer...To cut to the chase the definitive source on food allergies and sensitivities is Professor Jonathan Brostoff of the U.K. He is the worlds leading allergist and immuniologist in this field. No one has done more work on more patients for a longer period of time nor published more on the subject.The most recent edition of his "book for patients", written jointly with his clinical dietican, is on Amazon for about $18 "Food Allergies and Food Intolerance: The Complete Guide To Thier Identification and Treatment"" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 So if you want the greates body of factual information about foods and the immune system and health in one place this is it. Worth every penny, and we recommend it to every patient we work with.Happy Digital DayMNL_________________ www.leapallergy.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your responses folks. Brand new here - but really impressed with the forum & ESPECIALLY with you folks here.Have "searched" on several word combos & got lots of great info from past threads that updated me very fast. ("Dicetel", Digestive Enzymes" "gas" etc. etc. )We use & modified this very same forum (Ultimate Bulletin Board") for our own site - so have the advantage of knowing how to find what we need quickly from all the past posts - many newcomers do not know of all this info nor how to get to it.Hope "regulars" will not mind me talking to other newcomers for a moment. For other "newbys", not familiar with all the nuances of forums, I strongly suggest using "Search" (upper right of screen in small print under "Post Reply") to get yourself updated fast - there is a TREASURE of info from great & experienced people here (literally 1000's of old posts) buried away here that do not show up on this current discussion board.Merely make sure you are in "IBS Self Help Group Discussion", - search "Entire Message" & search "ANY DATE".AS WELL, participate in current discussions where you can ask questions or reply immediately to others.Anyhow - THANK YOU to all for replies to this (my first) post here & for all the info & (treasure of help & caring about others) that you folks have left here over time.Best Wishes for Happy Intestines 4 New Year 2 ALLJennifer A - Vancouver, Canada

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The "Cyberdiet" site did provide good info lists on fiber of each type & gas producers.Thanks Ad - Thanks all for your input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts