Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Hi Jeff,One of the most frustrating thing about using this site and others of a similar ilk is that people post on threads and you might reply to them but you never hear from them again. The reason for that is that they don't get email notifications of replies to the threads they posted on. I have just found that the function of the new site makes this even more likely to happen as you have to click on a "configure" button in order to see how to enable notification of replies. This is surely a step backwards as most people will not be aware of this.At the very least can we not have it as it was before where the "enable" function was visible please?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When you click watch this topic it lets you decide how much you want to be notified. I like having options, and the "watch this topic" is pretty obvious, at least for me. What are you looking for that was too hidden for you?

·
Banned
7,295 Posts
Thanks for your comment.I think Kathleen's postings about the "Watch this topic" link actually makes it quite simple with the new environment to follow postings on a topic or category.We are wondering if you hadn't noticed that new feature.Jeff

·
470 Posts
Thanks for your comment.I think Kathleen's postings about the "Watch this topic" link actually makes it quite simple with the new environment to follow postings on a topic or category.We are wondering if you hadn't noticed that new feature.Jeff
Hi JeffThe "Watch this Topic" feature is a good improvement but on the old site if you made a reply to a thread you were given an option to "enable email notification of replies" whereas now the user has to first notice the "click to configure post options" button and then press it to get the same option.I am all for giving people options rather than just sending out perhaps unwanted emails but I think that they should be aware of the options rather than them being hidden away under buttons. The change in this area on the new site is in my humble opinion a backward one and I cannot understand why the change has been made, that's all.Thanks Jeff.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I kind of liked the watch topic thing as sometimes I might want to watch a topic without replying to it in order to get notified, and I'm not sure having dozens of buttons (Because if you un-menu one thing why not un-menu them all) If there get to be too many buttons on every page people just tend to ignore all of them, in my experience. Although I'm one that would stop posting if I had to remember to click the notifications off every single time I posted as I get way too much email as it is and I don't need more things to delete, after a few weeks of deleting dozens of emails I'd be gone.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Im getting issues with the new site. The posts in each topic are not showing up. I will scroll down and then some of the text will appear, and then will disappear. Similar issues on the mobile version.

·
470 Posts
I kind of liked the watch topic thing as sometimes I might want to watch a topic without replying to it in order to get notified, and I'm not sure having dozens of buttons (Because if you un-menu one thing why not un-menu them all) If there get to be too many buttons on every page people just tend to ignore all of them, in my experience. Although I'm one that would stop posting if I had to remember to click the notifications off every single time I posted as I get way too much email as it is and I don't need more things to delete, after a few weeks of deleting dozens of emails I'd be gone.
Kathleen you are normally very good but with respect you are not reading my message correctly. I am NOT for one second saying that the "Watch this Topic" button should be changed in any way as it is a great idea. The point I am making is actually the point that you are alluding to and that is: - when you reply to a post there was previously an option to "enable email notification of replies", very simple. Now, in order to see "enable email notification of replies" you have to press another button called "click to configure post options".I just don't see the point of hiding a feature that was previously not hidden. It seems reasonable to give people the option of notifications when they might have otherwise have missed it. I am just suggesting that this feature be the same as the old site.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Oh, that at the bottom of the posting, well it didn't just hide one thing, it did make a bunch of stuff get there.We didn't do it to you, a lot of that just comes with the upgrade package, I'm not sure if that is a feature we can change or not, I could check, but it may just be the developers were told more people wanted them to clean up the screen than people wanted everything always out in the open where it was so cluttered they just ignored it anyway.It is hard sometimes to balance out how much visual information people can take in all at one time. I know we have all those menus and buttons at the top of each page and I like it because I can direct people there, but sometimes I think there is so much info that most people just can't see it.So the main issue you is people need one extra click when they post and you are afraid that people won't notice they can get email notifications there even though the watch topic now gives them another way to do it that is now more obvious?I think the Watch topic has more functionality as well as being at the top as it can also put the topic in the side bar on the main page so you can see there when it is updated, and you don't have to reply to a thread to get emailed about it.ETA: If you don't care too much about having all the options, and want it to run faster and can't deal with an extra click when posting (and don't want to use the watch this topic button) you can change the "skin" at the bottom of the page to "Mobile" and you get the email notification click showing each time you post, but you lose some other options, but it does load faster as it is set up for use on a smart phone, but you can use it with any web browser.

·
Banned
7,295 Posts
Bonzi,Try using a different "skin" to view the forums and blogs. The "skin" is the interface for displaying the topics/posts, etc.. The default "skin" is "IPB.Board Retro". Try selecting "IP.Board" from the bottom left drop down box at the bottom of the screen and see if that works better for you.Jeff

·
Registered
626 Posts
Im getting issues with the new site. The posts in each topic are not showing up. I will scroll down and then some of the text will appear, and then will disappear. Similar issues on the mobile version.
Exact same thing is happening to me. In fact your post disappeared until I scrolled down far enough, and then it magically reappeared.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hi, Bonzi and Faze action,I see what you mean here -- I have IE8 and it's doing the same thing for me (it seems like if I scroll the page to a certain position, the posts do show, but then if I scroll to a different page area, nothing shows up anymore).It's probably an oddity with the IE8 scripting (I've had similar issues with other sites), which there probably isn't much one can do.I would try and download another browser to use. I'm opening the forum in Firefox and it looks normal and good. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/In fact, opening the forums from Firefox is much faster than from IE in general.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If its an IE8 issue, IPB has the code fix for that. I run an IPB forum as well, and had issues with some forum members viewing the forum after a skin change. I had to email IPB and they told me how to do the fix(Cant remember now what it was)

·
Banned
7,295 Posts
The new setup seems to rely quite heavily on Javascript and this may be causing some problems.For IE7 and IE8 viewers, do you have Javascript enabled?If not, please follow these instructions:
Click 'Tools' on the menu bar'Select 'Internet Options'Click the 'Security' tabClick the 'Custom Level' buttonscroll to the 'Scripting' section Select 'Enable' to enable Active ScriptingSave
Please let us know if that helps.

·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jeff - what has happened to the Watch this Topic button? It is now just a small icon. This will mean that many people won't be aware they can follow a topic and so there will be posts with replies and people will not be aware of the replies which is the point I was making when I started this thread.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.