Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading all the great results people have had from calcium supplements, so I started taking them about 2 months ago. As I had read, they seemed to work great. I was getting my life back. BUT..... now .. for the last week or so, the D is back and I'm starting to feel kinda sick and weak. Is it possible my body has become "immune" to the supplements? Or am I not taking enuf to stay regular? I take 3 tablets, 3 times a day.Please let me know if anyone else is having this trouble.Thanks, ------------------andymississippi

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS waxes and wanes and it could just be that Calcium controls most of the time but won't control you at the worst time.You may want to check your diet. Are you drinking more caffiene or alcohol than usual? Are you eating more fruit? Drinking more non-diet soft drinks? All of these have things in them that tend to loosen the stools.If it doesn't calm down, it may be worth checking with the doctor, particularly if you have any other symptoms going on.Having IBS doesn't mean you can't have another problem crop up.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS waxes and wanes and it could just be that Calcium controls most of the time but won't control you at the worst time.You may want to check your diet. Are you drinking more caffiene or alcohol than usual? Are you eating more fruit? Drinking more non-diet soft drinks? All of these have things in them that tend to loosen the stools.If it doesn't calm down, it may be worth checking with the doctor, particularly if you have any other symptoms going on.Having IBS doesn't mean you can't have another problem crop up.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
398 Posts
is it possible to take too much calcium which can cause D. As with many vitimans and minerals too much isn't good.

·
Registered
398 Posts
is it possible to take too much calcium which can cause D. As with many vitimans and minerals too much isn't good.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
You are safe with 3 a day so you are not taking too much. What other meds do you take. The calcuim can effect whether you are getting the full effect of other meds by soaking them up as well as the excess fluid and this could be a problem. It could be just a normal folks you got a stomach bug. It is not likely you will get immune to the calcium because it is a constant in and out of you body cycle of calcium and going through its process on a daily basis. Think if you changed anything and also if you take other meds check the side effect that means the OTC ones also.Linda

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
You are safe with 3 a day so you are not taking too much. What other meds do you take. The calcuim can effect whether you are getting the full effect of other meds by soaking them up as well as the excess fluid and this could be a problem. It could be just a normal folks you got a stomach bug. It is not likely you will get immune to the calcium because it is a constant in and out of you body cycle of calcium and going through its process on a daily basis. Think if you changed anything and also if you take other meds check the side effect that means the OTC ones also.Linda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for your replies. i do drink a good bit of sodas, but i do not drink alcohol at all. my diet has not changed much at all eithier. i will try to cut back on the sodas to see if that will help.Thanks------------------andymississippi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for your replies. i do drink a good bit of sodas, but i do not drink alcohol at all. my diet has not changed much at all eithier. i will try to cut back on the sodas to see if that will help.Thanks------------------andymississippi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts