Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started taking Paxil for my IBS about a week and a half ago, and am still at 10 mg a day. I have noticed some help for my IBS symptoms, but at the same time, have felt rather run down and easily exhausted while taking it. I also have had some panic attacks in the past, and it seems like I am having moments of panic now MORE than before I started on this medication, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I was wondering if anyone had similar issues, and if you think it may just be something that will last the first few weeks as I adjust to it, or if this is a sign that I really am not reacting well to the medication and should talk to my doctor about getting off of it. I had taken Bentyl for about four years and it stopped helping me, I've been having a bad flare up for the past two months or so, and my doctor decided to switch meds.Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Liza:This month is my one year anniversary on Paxil and it has given me back my life.I remember the first week or two I was very tired, anxious, could not sleep and jumpy, constantly. Then, as my system adjusted to the medicine, all of the bad things went away, along with my IBS.All things do not work the same on everyone, but I feel if your dr prescribed the Paxil then he/she must think there is a possibility it can help you. Please try to stick out the first couple of weeks and then re-evaluate how you feel and if you are still concerned, speak with your doctor.A lot of people don't think that anti-depressants are the answer, but after years of trying everything from laxatives, immodium, lotronex, calcium, (the list goes on & on), the Paxil is the only thing that has proved successful to me.Good luck and best wishes to you from a fellow Western Pennsylvanian!Terri

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Terri,Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I spoke to the nurse at my doctor's office yesterday, and this morning, I tried taking only 5 mg of the Paxil as opposed to 10, and I seem to be feeling a bit better today than I did the past few days. Although 10 mg isn't a lot, maybe it was too much for my system. We'll see. Thanks again.Liza

·
Registered
650 Posts
Liza,SSRI's are not for everyone. I also suffer from anxiety disorder and take Serzone which is in a different category of antidepressant. If you are worried about the liver damage warnings there are a couple of others in the same category to chose from. I have hep C and my docs 9 all 3 of them say there is no real risk of increased liver damage with Serzone. There is something out there for you, so keep looking and good luck to you.I know how you feel and with the proper meds I've finally got a normal outlook.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Liza, I was on Paxil for awhile...it helped a bit but I was always tired, and it made me gain weight. Stick it out awhile longer though as you've heard it works well for some. If you do go off wean off slow by decreasing your dose. good luck.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
My 89 y.o. mom just switched from Paxil to Celexa and it has given her a lot more energy. Everyone's system reacts differently to these drugs. Give the Paxil a try, but if your body can't adjust to it, there are others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just saw my doctor today, and he said to stay at the lower dosage for another two weeks, and then to try to increase to the 10 mg that was giving me side effects before, (he said they should go away over time). He also recommended taking the Paxil at night and maybe the side effects wouldn't bother me as much. Now I am supposed to take the Bentyl (which I went off when I started Paxil two weeks ago) as needed.Does anyone know if there is a difference in effectiveness if you take the Paxil at night instead of in the morning?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Liza, I took the paxil at night because it made me tired. I figured if I took it before bed and I felt dizzy/tired etc. then I could sleep it off and be fresher to start the day. I was always worried about driving. I think it makes no difference for your stomach what time as long as its fairly regular. Before Bed worked better for me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Liza,I have been on Paxil for a year after about 8 years of Zoloft. Zoloft did nothing for my IBS-D, but Paxil has been better than even the Lotronex. My 22 year old daughter has found this to be true for her also.I also take Klonopin for anxiety, so I never had the trouble with Paxil at the beginning. However an interesting thing happened to me during the last month. My doc gave me 4 weeks worth of the new CR Paxil (constant release). I was so nervous during the time I was taking it. It caused me to have a middle of the night panic attack which is something that I hadn't had for several years. I finally discovered that it was the Paxil CR samples and as soon as I went back on the regular Paxil, everything was fine. I have read that some docs give their patients an anti-anxiety to help adjust to the paxil. Maybe you could ask your doc about this. But if you can stick it out, I think you might find the Paxil a great help for IBS-D. I wish you the best!

·
Registered
3 Posts
this is in response to LIZA. my doctor also told me to take my Paxil at bedtime. I tried taking it in the morning and could hardly stay awake. I have noticed that my very painful ibs attacks are more infrequent now....Hope it works for you!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
For me, Paxil was a GODSEND...I was desparate and starting to get thoughts of wanting to die. I never seriously thought about suicide, but those thoughts were scary. Thank GOD I was put on that med.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hmmmmm, I was just reading in the diarrhea forum about it causing worse D. maybe it can swing both ways. That's good to hear. I'm starting Paxil tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous. There seems to be lots of side effects...
I had a really bad time last year for about 2 months from panic attacks, I hope they don't come back. I'm really just trying to kill the remaining anxiety from them that never went away. plus I've got some depression now. Hopefully that will go away too. I just got my IBS-D sort of under control so I REALLY hope it doesn't fudge it up....

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Paxil...............................................................................................................................................................................I didn't like it.Actually, it made me nuts with teenie weenie very worrisome explosions in my head.I do much much better on either prozac or zoloft and then only at the lowest dose.Everyone's different.You will know in the first few weeks if it's the right medication for you or not.If you feel better then you feel better.If you don't feel better, talk to your doctor about a change in either dose or substance.That's the best way to know.Kamie

·
Registered
106 Posts
I took paxil the first year I had IBS and for that year I didn't have sex. It totally killed the sex drive.I'm on Elavil right now. I'm waiting for Lotronex to come out I am suffering so bad with this IBS its not related to my thyroid disorder because my levels are normal but oh the gut wretching feeling for 3 days after a bought of this. I take Bentyl for pain it doesn't do much but thats all I have I bought some Skullcap tea last night at a healthfood store to relieve pain.What do you all do?

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
I get Elavil with Prozac which handles some areas of pain. For the hard spasms I get hyoscyamine which I can take up to 3x a day if needed. I take it as needed.However, sometimes things get really bad and then I use the Emergency Room where I get put on an I.V. drip of Demerol and Phenegrin and after that the spaz gut straightens out for a while and I do fine on maintenance.I'm getting an ultrasound on Monday to check the pelvis to see what's going on since the dcotor feels a suspicious area where my colon used to be attached to the now extinct ovary.It's a work in progress.Kamie

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Real Bad is defined by vital signs and for me. It's when I go into tachycardia then it's time to head for the ER.I was there last week and I started out at 109 at the house and I was up to 119 by the time we got to the ER 2 minutes away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
welll, I've had 2 doses of it and so far so good. I had diarrhea yesterday with nasty cramps, and I'm sure it's from the paxil because I hadn't had any like that for so long... but today no diarrhea!
Of course I had a bit of nausea and I felt faint for a while. I hope things keep going like this!!! I hope I haven't jinxed myself by posting here.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been on Paxil for two years, up to 40mg a day. Dropped the dosage due to low sex drive. Tried to quit and couldn't, had to bad of side effects such as dizziness, nausea, and shaking. I'm only doing 10 to 20mg now a day and I'm fine. Like any drug we try we're all different on the scale of what works and what doesn't. You have nothing to lose if you try, you never know what can really help. Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've noticed a bit of gag relfex since I've started. Plus I need to yawn a lot, and when I do I gag. Kind of weird. LOLI think my doctor wants me to go on 20 mg a day. I'm a 10 right now. I don't think the anti-depressant, anti-anxiety part has kicked in yet tho, still waiting on it. But I've only taken it for 5 days now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.