Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to this board also. I've been reading many posts and I am confused about supplements. I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago but have been constipated/diarrea alternately for years. I seem to be more C than D. My confusion is: What type fiber supplement is best and not too expensive? which kind of magnesium should I be taking? I've taken MOM tablets before and NOTHING. I use Glycrin supp. 3-4 at one time but that only works on what is right at the lower colon. My doc gave me Lactulose Solution and I took it and all it did was make me more bloated and gassy. I stopped taking it. PLEASE, any help you give me will be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm going to just blow up. All I need is a tail like a kite and I could be a hellium baloon LOL

G

·
Hey Bear, everyone is different and what works for one person might not work for another. Anyhow my husband uses FiberChoice and I take Metamucil with calcium. There are so many to choose and it is trial and error. Most are inexpensive. Hope you can find the one that helps you.char

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
As far as I can tell from other discussions, Alternators are generally considered Cs whose bodies run to short D spells when they finally move. My wife, who is non-IBS C, used a fiber/herbal mixture for a period to get herself going and now just regulates herself with a small bowl of All-Bran every morning. So you just never know what will work for you. Maybe just try a different kind each month until you strike gold.Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello. My wife was recently diagnosed with IBS and she is currently going through the "tests" part of the fun. She is currently taking glyco lax and 6 mg zelnorm 2 times a day. This works about 1/5 of the time.She suffers badly from constipation(you can feel how hard her stomach is) and I am greatly concerned about a blowout. Being new to all this ANY info I can suggest to her doctors or info from those who have gone through the gambit of treatments would be great. Seeing my wife in such discomfort is really hard(noone should have to go through what you folks do).Thanks a lot. Jeremy.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Upset, I take miralax and zelnorm too- but I take 2-3 doses of miralx a day and add Milk of mag at night. she may need to increase dose of miralax and try adding some MOM. I gave up the evening zelnorm as it did nothing- just take the morning dose and it is important to take on an empty stomache and not eat for atleast 1 hour!!!! it works about 1 hour later for me. she needs to make plenty of time in the mornings to go. Best wishes! theres alot of good info in this site- welcome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.