Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand how my Doc could tell me that IBS is what I have. I don't really have a problem with either Constipation or Diarrhea. The reason I was going to the Doc was because I was getting major cramps when I would eat different things. He sent me for tests and everything came back neg. that is why I think he said it was IBS. Though I do get constipation and diarrhea it not as bad as what I have read about.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS is a chronic pain syndrome. IBS symptoms can be highly variable between (and sometimes within) individuals. Usually on support groups you find the people who are at the severe end of the spectrum.The defining symptom is pain or discomfort in the absense of organic findings.Some people have more problems with stool consistancy and frequency than others. The pain and discomfort is often worse when there is problems with stool consistancy or frequency. Alterations in stool consistancy or frequency do not have to be major changes, they can be minor ones. If every stool is always normal, you may have a related disorder called Chronic Abdominal Pain Syndrome, which is basically IBS without stool alterations. At this point it doesn't make much difference which disorder it is as the pain portion of both disorders are treated exactly the same.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 04-26-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts