Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IBS is an awful lot better than it used to be, though I frequently have issues to this day its been a while since I have had an "old fashioned" episode. just about ever issue I have now I can tell if it is something I have ate, done or not done which is great as it means if I know it was something I have ate I can retrace foods I have had and I usually find something that has milk in it that either never use to or I never thought would.on sunday I was having usual pains (which are becoming more frequent again), they then became extreme pains but no D and I didnt want to take any anti-D's to settle my stomach in case it through off my streak of good normal BM's. I had no idea what to do other than curl up with a hot water bottle and try to relax. the pains got worse and then thankfully I had some D so I could take some immodiums etc and calm it down a little. I am pretty sure it is something I ate but looking back at everything I have eaten recently there hasnt been anything I can think of which isn't part of my usual diet. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary. The only Idea I can come up with is a doctor I saw prescribed lansoprazole, I have taken it for almost 2 weeks and found its done nothing of any benefit at all. The last day I took any was saturday so that could be related somehow.Other than that I am struggling to find a link which would put me back a year or so in terms of IBS pain (though not frequency yet), anyone else think of possible triggers?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Don't forget the physical.Too hot, too cold, too hot outside, but too air conditioned inside, weather fronts, how well you slept the last couple of nights, coming down with a cold (or fighting off something that hasn't made you sick, yet), how much you've exercised or not recently.Also sometimes people don't realize they are stressed over something emotional or mental until the body starts having symptoms. And remember "good stress" is just as stessful as "bad stress" so sometimes good things, new relationship, new job, new house, can be just as hard on the body as losing a job, breaking up, etc.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Katherine your helpful and right right as always, I guess when it comes down to it trying to find each trigger to keep on top of things is futile as there are more factors than we can account for. Never thought of the weather but symptoms do seem worse in summer and I have been quite bad over the last week which has seen on/off heat waves and storms.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do you feel like stress could be playing a part it in? I think it's interesting that Katherine mentioned how you can be stressed without being totally conscious of it, because that seems to cause a lot of my IBS "attacks."

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stress does cause IBS attacks but I am in the lucky or maybe unlucky potition of rarely getting stressed. I used to get very stressed when I was about 14 and I think most of my IBS was stress related, and all the other dietary and medical changes since then have caused my ongoing IBS attacks. I don't know why I stopped getting stressed as much I think its music as relaxation theropy that does it. When I got my MP4 I started listening to it when going to University and I have a habit of choosing songs based on how I am feeling in order to balance me out. Prob sounds stupid but I think it helps and often I think IBS flare ups could just be psychosematic. but when I do have stress related IBS I have a technique of thinking about the alphabet in phonetics over and over which is a crazy technique but it can get your mind off things as I am dyslexic and as embarrising as it sounds I can only work out the order of letters in the alphabet using the old A,B,C sesemy streat rhyme. which is brutal when using a dictionary (thank google for that not being needed anymore)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi IBSD88,You said,,..Prob sounds stupid but I think it helps and often I think IBS flare ups could just be psychosematic. but when I do have stress related IBS I have a technique of thinking about the alphabet in phonetics over and over which is a crazy technique but it can get your mind off thingsYour technique sounds good. But I usually get this irritability in stomoch when i am in office. So i cant think of a alphabet over and over, as I need to concentrate on work too. Any way I am on the edge of loosing my job,..Kathleen mentioned so many triggers. If I keep on monitoring all those triggers I guess I will end up in mental hospital. I am not saying Kathleen is wrong. I am just saying it is difficult to do that, atleast for me with all other things going on,.I am just depressed and bored,I need to type sth here and did that,..Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts