Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been in Omaha since January 15th, and finally made it to the gastro guy, well I take anxiety medication, xanex. Well I have always suffered with Anxiety problems and depression but never got it seen to when I was a teen, well he looked at my file and told me well you certainly don't need more tests as you have had every test known to man so I agreed, then came the unwanted interview, got talking about life, child hood, and so on. Then he asked why I was never sent to a phyciatrist(ignore spelling long day at work) so I bluntly told him that before IBS hit me I hated doctors, hospitals so I hid everything from everyone and never saw a doctor till I was 19 for IBS. Well he wasn't very happy about that answer and when he saw my arms, well I was a self mutalator when I was a teen and okay I won't lie when I loose it I take it out on myself. So he said well you need to go to one and go see an internal medicine doc, he couldn't prescribe me the meds I am on as hes not my regular doc. Well I was pissed as it will take someone to manually pull me to go see a shrink, I hate talking about stuff inside to family and friends let alone a complete stranger. Then he said, I have a feeling that your IBS is linked to my past, well I agreed I know that it is. It started when I was young but fully came out at 19. Too bad you can't keep everything swept up under the rug. Anyone else think IBS is linked that way? Just curious.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well, it appears we have the same screen name. Hope it doesn't cause anyone any more confusion.In the past, doctors generally did believe that irritable bowel syndrome was linked to some sort of emotional turmoil in a sufferer's life. Psychological disturbance may play a role in some IBS sufferers, but because there are so many who suffer who do not seem to have any more psychological issues than the average person, it cannot generally be assumed that IBS is linked to psychological difficulties. Each individual requires evaluation of their own set of circumstances, both physical and mental. I hope you are able to find some relief and some health care providers who can pull together your care as in your case it would seem a multidisciplinary approach might be the most effective treatment plan.Good luck.~JR~

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I think he wants to get my anxiety under control that can affect IBS. IBS started when I was young at the same time things got worse. Who know's but it would be good to get everything sorted out or try to at least. So coping my screen name huh.
I don't think people will get confussed.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
JR, Instead of going to a psychiatrist, you might find cognitive behavioral therapy to be very helpful for your anxiety. You'll need to see a psychologist, not a psychiatrist, for that. The cognitive behavioral therapy approach focuses on changing your mental habits, so it deals with the here and now, not the past. Often it's the way we think about things that raises our anxiety and stress levels. If we can change our thoughts, then we can reduce the stress, which ultimately does affect our IBS. I am a psychologist myself, although I no longer do psychotherapy, I'm in another branch. There are many approaches to dealing with anxiety. If you don't want a therapeutic approach that delves into your past, then try the cognitive behavioral approach that deals with the "here and now". Good luck to you. You might want to check out the www.adaa.org website for help in finding a therapist.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
i agree with the 2nd JR that many IBSers don't have the emotional issues but still suffer. It also brings to mind the question......" why doesn't everyone who experienced emotional turmoil growing up develop it?"Possibly it is the other way around. IBS causes the brain/emotional problem. I know that in my case if I have depression or anxiety it is due to allergy, intolerances, fungal overgrowth and maybe a few other factors. The evidence exists for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.