Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new on here and I'm posting this because it's something I can't seem to cure at all. Whenever I eat, a few minutes later gas starts gurgling up through my throat every time I breathe and I feel very bloated. This usually lasts anything from a few hours to all day til I go to sleep. My doctor (I've seen 3 about it) say they don't know what to do. I've been diagnosed with IBS and usually can manage the pain etc, but not this. I eat loads of oats and have almost cut wheat out of my diet, but it doesn't appear to be helping. I don't eat much dairy or eggs, and I'm vegetarian. What can I do?! Please help. It's embarrassing and unpleasant and I was hoping someone out there might be more useful than my doctors.Ta! x

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also had this once, and the doctor said that the constant belching was due to GERD. Not sure if its' the same for you though... But all the best. The doctor gave me some meds for that and I'm no longer bleching like crazy. I remembered that I use to belch an average of 5-7 times an hour (yeah, I actually recorded it down.haha) Good luck!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Leathery,Belching is my biggest problem. Though, unlike you, I've fasted for days and still belched.I would strongly urge you to read Pimentel's book A New IBS Solution. None of his methods cured me. But his diet does give me significant relief. I am actually, at this very moment, taking Flagyl and Cipro, to see if they help me.Years ago my diet consisted of about one serving of meat per month. My personal experience has been that converting to a meat-based diet allowed me to experience major improvement in my symptoms. Your mileage may vary. There is a lot of individual variation with this stuff. At the time I started eating meat, I thought I was going to shorten my lifespan, but it would be worth it if my IBS symptoms lessened. Fortunately, I no longer think that a meat-based diet is unhealthy. In any case, the ultimate test for me is always how my digestion responds. If my digestion gets better, I accept that, whatever the experts say. This includes Pimentel as well. He certainly does not have all the answers. But, he is the only person I've read who actually theorizes an explanation for burping. The alternative, told to me by a gastroenterologist, is "aerophgia," or swallowing air. I don't buy it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks all for your help!I still get the belching even if I don't eat, it's just worse if I do. I think it's rubbish that it's due to 'air-swallowing' too. I swear I belch more than I breathe. A meat-based diet may help I guess, but I don't eat very belch-inducing foods as it is - rarely wheat or veg. I'm not vegetarian for health reasons, but I might even consider eating meat if it's affecting me this much. Grrrrr!!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
You might want to consider getting tested to see if you have an H. pylori infection... people can have this in their stomachs and be asymptomatic, but it can cause burping. Do you have any other symptoms?

·
Registered
546 Posts
One thing to try for H. pylori is mastic gum. It's easy to get and it's a vegetable. And, as faze action correctly points out, many sufferers of H. pylori have burping as a symptom. Bismuth also can be effective against H. pylori. If those two don't work, then you have to go for the bigger antibiotic guns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts