Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow - been looking over these forums the last few days. Struck by how many people are suffering out there. Thoughts with you all.My story starts 12 months ago. Went visiting family in Manchester and on a meal out on the night before mothers day I was struck with ultra sharp pains upper right side. Ended up in A&E with a stack of morphine. They suspected gall bladder problems. By morning sharp pain had faded but I was left with constant pain - mostly in upper part of my abdomen - in line with my ribs.When I got home I went to see my GP who referred me for an ultrasound which came up negative for gall bladder problems. Went back to the GP as I was still in constant pain.I was referred to a gastro consultant and since then have had CT scans upper and lower abdomen, colonoscopy, gastroscopy plus several blood tests.None of the tests have shown anything serious - hence I am sitting here with an IBS diagnosis.The gastroscopy showed mild gastritis and "small" hiatus hernia - a biopsy was taken which came back positive for Helicobacter Pylori. I took the triple therapy antibiotics but have not yet had a test to see if it is gone.Latest is that my gastro consultant has referred me for a Esophageal manometry and 24 hour ph monitoring. This should tell if I have an acid problem (I have never suffered before so don't know if my symptoms are the same!).He seems intent on diagnosing IBS - he is not convinced at all that there is an acid problem. I think he only asked for the test because I am qt my wits end and need to try something.I have struggled to tally up the diagnosis as I do not have diarrohea or constipation problems at all - just consistent pain in my upper abdomen. It flares occassionally - usually when I am out. On a scale of 1-10 for pain (1 no pain, 10 ubearable pain) it is never less than 2 and probably averages 3 or 4 with bouts of 6 and 7 (or 9 or 10 for the thankfully rare flare ups). Pain does not seem to be associated with any particular foods although I have not tried elimination diets yet.My gastro consultant has suggested no treatments yet - he has just been intent on the tests for ruling out serious (ie. life threatening problems). Seems IBS is a cop out to not treat you. Reading these forums show me so many people in the same boat. Any stories from others gratefully heard - and any treatment suggestions! BTW I am a 38 year old male (only females get IBS right

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Every stool is perfectly normal in consistency and frequency (you don't need full blown constipation or diarrhea, 2-3 times a day when you use to have 1 per day or just a bit soft/loose or just a bit harder then usual counts for IBS, and if you have pain that gets less even with a normal BM that counts).Upper abdomen that is central can be functional dyspepsia (stomach upper GI pain like IBS functionl pain) rather than IBS. However most of the treatments really don't vary if it is FD, IBS or CFAP (Chronic Functional Abdominal Pain which is all the colon pain of IBS with normal stools). So it doesn't matter much if your doctor uses IBS to mean Functional GI problem of any kind. Most doctors WILL treat IBS/FD/CFAP, (although we accumlate those the usual prescriptions don't help because people who get good relief on the first pill they are given usually don't need support) not just send you off with nothing. So it isn't a cop out not to treat, but generally you are managing inappropriate nerve pain (pain nerves going off when they shouldn't rather than they are accurately reporting something actually broken).They often do want to know if the nerves are accurately reporting something that should be painful vs they are just freaked out because they are damaged before they treat as those things can need different treatments. Trying to block inappropriate pain signals when there is something they should be reporting as painful isn't going to be a good course of treatment, so they do need to rule that out. At least your doctor will do the tests, some won't. I would ask what the treatment plan is based on the test results to ensure they do intend to treat once they figure it out.K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.My logical, sensible head agrees with everything you say. Best to eliminate things and not just try anything and everything all at once. My "living with this every day and it is getting me down" head thinks that I just want to do something to treat the problem!Unfortunately I am at the mercy of the UK NHS where every test and procedure costs money and there is a waiting list so I have been in a cycle of "test - wait three months for next consultation - have another test" for 12 months now. Good side being that NHS is taxpayer funded so it has not costed me money directly (has through my taxes!!).Hopefully the manometry and 24 hr ph test should rule acid reflux in or out and my latest test for H Pylori (yesterday) should rule that in or out. Maybe then I can start on the path of a treatment plan.Will post back as things progress.Thanks again - someone else to listen ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bad day yesterday. Went out for a few beers with a friend - pain built up over the evening - ended up in A&E. Had blood tests and upper abdomen x-ray - no big problems as usual. So IV painkillers and an antispasmodic - buscopan. Settled down and I was off home at 4 in the morning.V down today and still sore

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey goosacre,Could it be your liver acting up, if after drinking you had a flair? Maybe try doing a liver flush at home. The Hulda Clarke method, just do a google search. I've heard of lots of people getting relief from pains and cramps, there's a lot of debate about how the procedure actually works. Just another option to consider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.