Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This is my first post. I’ve had ibs-c for 15 + plus years. It began probably in my early twenties and became so severe i could no longer work. I was always in the bathroom and never able to go properly, just everything out of sync and in a very bad way. A month where i had to work from home showed me that when i am able to lay in for a few hours in the morning on my left side, i am often able to go to the bathroom, have a bm sometimes with urge sometimes not. But this was a huge improvement for me at the time. That’s some of my history (had a colonoscopy Etc years and years ago).

anyway, for those 15 years i have spent every day pretty much in pain, moderate to severe. As i mentioned i have to lay on my left side for hours through the morning. i tried lots of diets etc once probiotics. The major problem aside form the C for me, and the cause of all the pain and severe discomfort is chronic trapped gas. It can be so incredibly painful and hard to shift, its like my body just will not process it normally. I read people pass wind 20 times a day or something normally or more. This simply doesnt happen with me. I almost never do except in the mornings when i wake bloated. And the only other time really being in the evening until 3 am every … night. I am exhausted.

So what i have to do every day, is lay on my front from 6-8pm which helps move air along a bit. I sometimes pass a little - sorry about this! Then after dinner i have to lay down again from about 10pm until 3am. I dont just lay on my front (this has proven to be the position most helpful for things shifting). I do kind of weird movements to make my stomach shift. i have to di it all night till 3 constantly for hours. Its absolutely shattering and coupled with getting 5 hours sleep max i am exhausted.

has anyone else had similar experiences and found things that helped, or cured themselves? I’m kind of desperate.

i do have anxiety ocd but over this whole 15 year period the only thing that has ever helped was quite extraordinary. I had always found it so impossible to define what the problem was. I tried diets fibre anti anxiety meditation exercise - i think this is a problem as im sedentary now. But once i was at my ex gf‘s place in holland. She would always make food. It got so bad i was laying on my front 18 hours a day exercising trying to get a half hour period where i was ok. So i completely cut out things like oats and i completely cut out vegetables. on an instinct.

i just ate the blandest flakes for breakfast no milk. Maybe wheat flakes though. Then i had noodles and tofu/fake meat for lunch and dinner with nothing else. I only drink water. i had 3 days where my pain was magically miraculously transformed. I still had some late at night but during the day i was pretty much fine. It was incredible. Every single day for 15 years being in terrible or moderate at leats pain all day unable to travel scared to do anything then three days that to me were heaven. When i got back to the uk a lot happened i was unable to completely recreate that diet but very recently i switched to something similar cut out all vegetables again and i had a couple of days similar.

but then my symptoms all came back. I am still eating some things like cheese sandwiches that may not help (there are other reasons for that). But I wanted to try to give details in case anyone could relate and help me. its like my body doesnt move the gas along it builds up. I get pain lower right but everywhere too. I belch. Im sounding lovely im sure..

so if i eat other foods like the days i drank or ate curry i get a lottt of gas. And because it doesnt move easily its very hard. i feel like cutting out vegetables fibre and i never eat sugar as thats terrible, caused me to create less gas.

if anyone can help at all wth this id be so interested and grateful. I know people say yoga but i cant really do that for other reasons and although it helped a tiny bit the problem is im having to manually do things exercise for hours upon hours laying face down just to get any respite. Or to be ok enough to sleep. So i would love to know if anyone found something that relieved this cured it or helped their body to move gas normally.

I thought the c thing might be useful. i had a very bad episode of it when i was young and had to have a doctor out and things. I didnt have ibs-c following that but later in life.

i have had in 15 years a total of 5 days without severe and continual pain and where i didnt have to lay down mainly on my front for hours and hours and hours.

Thanks very much and i hope youre all doing well

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Hi Jifoo -

I highly recommend you take something every day to help you go. If you start to have daily BM's the gas should escape naturally throughout the day.

After trying everything under the sun I take and recommend Dr. Schultze's Intestinal Formula # 1. I've been taking it daily for over 5 years now. I also take 3 tablespoons of ACV mixed with water every day, whenever I get up.

I also try to eat as much meat as possible. The carnivore diet ("eat meat, drink water") or something close to it should definitely help your constipation & gas buildup.

Good luck & keep us posted!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am so sorry you have to go through all this.

In some ways I empathise. I have IBS-D so way different to your situation, but I have gas problems too, although not anything like as bad as yours. I seem to pass gas immediately on waking up, and for about the next half hour. Probably about 4-5 times, like something has been stuck inside all night....then nothing the rest of the day, until a couple of times in the evening after dinner.

I try to eat vegetables. Sometimes I get away with it when my gut is going through a calm phase. But I still can't be free and easy with which vegetables I eat. And I dearly wish I could! I used to eat such a healthy diet. Now there are about 6 vegetables I can usually tolerate. Some I try to experiment with sometimes with mixed or even negative results, and sometimes paradoxes, when I can eat things one day, fine, but not the next!

I am not at all surprised to hear that foods which are generally looked on as "unhealthy" give you a calmer gut. I get the same. And all the foods that are "superfoods" or really good for us, give many IBS people a very hard time!
My gut is always calmer when I eat less fibre. (yet fibre is recommended for us!! It's " healthy"!) Maybe that isn't the golden rule for IBS sufferers!

I honestly think we have to listen to our bodies and not try to force down things that we know upset our guts. Even if it doesn't make sense.

From time to time I do keep experimenting with small amounts of healthy veggies, and new things (like sugar snap peas which I haven't dared eat since January 2020). Sometimes I get away with it....sometimes not.

I would adore a curry....potatoes with skins....tomatoes ....beetroot.....lentil stews etc. I just have to forget about it. For now anyway. Never say never!

Gas....I wish I knew its secrets. Fine when it rolls around inside then comes out. Fine when it's kind of like air and not noxious. Fine when it behaves like it should, and doesn't get trapped and cause pain.

What causes it? Inappropriate fermentation? Muscle spasms? Tension? I have no idea.

Some people find warm packs or hot water bottle on the belly helps. But if you find that cutting down on "healthy" foods helps you, I would say go with your gut feelings!
If you think you are missing nutrients take a good multivitamin/mineral complex daily. I do, to make up any shortfall in diet. I have hope it won't be forever, but needs management right now, so I manage it as best I can, in my own way. I can't help being optimistic -even if it might be unrealistic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. This is my first post. I’ve had ibs-c for 15 + plus years. It began probably in my early twenties and became so severe i could no longer work. I was always in the bathroom and never able to go properly, just everything out of sync and in a very bad way. A month where i had to work from home showed me that when i am able to lay in for a few hours in the morning on my left side, i am often able to go to the bathroom, have a bm sometimes with urge sometimes not. But this was a huge improvement for me at the time. That’s some of my history (had a colonoscopy Etc years and years ago).

anyway, for those 15 years i have spent every day pretty much in pain, moderate to severe. As i mentioned i have to lay on my left side for hours through the morning. i tried lots of diets etc once probiotics. The major problem aside form the C for me, and the cause of all the pain and severe discomfort is chronic trapped gas. It can be so incredibly painful and hard to shift, its like my body just will not process it normally. I read people pass wind 20 times a day or something normally or more. This simply doesnt happen with me. I almost never do except in the mornings when i wake bloated. And the only other time really being in the evening until 3 am every … night. I am exhausted.

So what i have to do every day, is lay on my front from 6-8pm which helps move air along a bit. I sometimes pass a little - sorry about this! Then after dinner i have to lay down again from about 10pm until 3am. I dont just lay on my front (this has proven to be the position most helpful for things shifting). I do kind of weird movements to make my stomach shift. i have to di it all night till 3 constantly for hours. Its absolutely shattering and coupled with getting 5 hours sleep max i am exhausted.

has anyone else had similar experiences and found things that helped, or cured themselves? I’m kind of desperate.

i do have anxiety ocd but over this whole 15 year period the only thing that has ever helped was quite extraordinary. I had always found it so impossible to define what the problem was. I tried diets fibre anti anxiety meditation exercise - i think this is a problem as im sedentary now. But once i was at my ex gf‘s place in holland. She would always make food. It got so bad i was laying on my front 18 hours a day exercising trying to get a half hour period where i was ok. So i completely cut out things like oats and i completely cut out vegetables. on an instinct.

i just ate the blandest flakes for breakfast no milk. Maybe wheat flakes though. Then i had noodles and tofu/fake meat for lunch and dinner with nothing else. I only drink water. i had 3 days where my pain was magically miraculously transformed. I still had some late at night but during the day i was pretty much fine. It was incredible. Every single day for 15 years being in terrible or moderate at leats pain all day unable to travel scared to do anything then three days that to me were heaven. When i got back to the uk a lot happened i was unable to completely recreate that diet but very recently i switched to something similar cut out all vegetables again and i had a couple of days similar.

but then my symptoms all came back. I am still eating some things like cheese sandwiches that may not help (there are other reasons for that). But I wanted to try to give details in case anyone could relate and help me. its like my body doesnt move the gas along it builds up. I get pain lower right but everywhere too. I belch. Im sounding lovely im sure..

so if i eat other foods like the days i drank or ate curry i get a lottt of gas. And because it doesnt move easily its very hard. i feel like cutting out vegetables fibre and i never eat sugar as thats terrible, caused me to create less gas.

if anyone can help at all wth this id be so interested and grateful. I know people say yoga but i cant really do that for other reasons and although it helped a tiny bit the problem is im having to manually do things exercise for hours upon hours laying face down just to get any respite. Or to be ok enough to sleep. So i would love to know if anyone found something that relieved this cured it or helped their body to move gas normally.

I thought the c thing might be useful. i had a very bad episode of it when i was young and had to have a doctor out and things. I didnt have ibs-c following that but later in life.

i have had in 15 years a total of 5 days without severe and continual pain and where i didnt have to lay down mainly on my front for hours and hours and hours.

I'm sorry to hear u been in pain for so long I too have severe trapped gas it's like it can't get out it just stays there no matter what I do grumbling and moving around under ribs and gos to chest and back I've had it off and on for yrs but I've had it straight for going on 3 months and it has caused lots of anxiety which makes everything worse I too am exhausted body and mind don't get much sleep at all I'm waiting for referral to get a new gastro Dr I have one but want 2nd opinion I hope we both get something to help, keep us posted :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts