Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, ive had IBS quite a while and the constipation is really getting me down, i havnt tried laxatives or anything cause i have heard that they cause long term damage, is this true? is natural laxatives like that new sennecot the way to go?just getting me down really
i dont know wether you guys get it, but feeling ill all the time and headaches, i think its because of the constipation, but not too sure, has anyone got similar symptoms, is there anything that helps you peeps?thanks for listening... SpArKLeR

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Sparkler, I have been taking Sennocot and a stool stoftener for several months. The doctor told me that I might have to take it the rest of my life. It has helped some, but now I am also on Zelnorm for the last week. I am seeing some better results with all of thes products together. However, you should check with your doctor before taking them yourself. IBS is a terrible thing. Ruins ones life....Hope you get the examinations and advice you need from a professional.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Isn't Sennecot a laxative that is not good for long-term use because it does muscle damage in the colon?? I may be wrong but I hear people saying that stimulate laxatives will ruin the colon over time, what falls under stimulative?Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sparkler:is there anything that helps you peeps?thanks for listening... SpArKLeR
I've gone back to one of my foods for supposedly lowering cholesterol that helps - banana bread made with oat bran (no flour). Bran bothers some people but eating this stuff helps me go more than once per week. It gets old after awhile but it's the only thing that always seems to work. Fiber powder, pills, etc always seem to stop after a few weeks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Oat bran unlike wheat bran is more soluble than insoluble fiber.For some people soluble fiber may work well when they find insoluble fiber irritating.Soluble fiber is the kind that helps with cholesterol.Generally what I have found with oat bran is in most baked good recipies you can replace about 1/4 of the flour with oat bran and get good results. So you could do this with any bread, muffin, or even most cookie recipes. K.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You need 4 things to completely eradicate constipation:1. your colon has to be nice and clear2. you need the right bacteria3. you need to eat some fibre4. you need to drive water into the bowelTo achieve the first step go to a colon therapist and get your colon flushed out. This will give your colon a break and allow you to heal it. Next take some good bacterial culture tablets every day. This puts good bacteria in the gut. Third eat soft fibre as has been recommended...oat bran is good. Avoid wheat bran. And fourth take the homeopathic remedy called Milk Thistle. It will push water into your bowel and gently help with bowel movements.After 4 years of suffering I find this methodology works very well!

·
Registered
21 Posts
ask your doctor about Miralax-- it's not as much of a laxative as it is a stool softener- it says to mix with water, because it "has no taste", but of course that's never true. i just drink it with a little bit of apple juice each night and i can't taste a thing. it doesn't do any damage in the long term. look into it.god bless- becca

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Sparkler, In my opinion, the most common/sucsessful recommended aids used for constipation are: - Fibre and lots of water (fiber may give you more gas though does not work well for some, like me)- schedule (always go at the same time each day an set aside time for this-magnesium suppliments (these have been my miracle aid)-probiotics.If you do a search of old post of these topics you should be able to find lots of good info. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.