Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have been getting constipated a lot over the past year, I have mucus with my bowel movements and I am sick of it. If I get constipated I will have 2 sachets of movicol and that flushes everything out of my bowels. But again maybe 4 days later I will get constipated again and have mucus in my stools again and then I flush out again.

That goes in a constant cycle and I am fed up with it. What can I do to stop this constipation and not have the mucus in my stool.

Help would be much appreciated

Thanks very much

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Mucus is a lubricant so if you can ease the constipation you may ease that.

Most drugs that might dry up the mucus are constipating so may not be worthwhile.

Have you tried daily use of an osmotic (as well as increasing water consumption?) Or looking at how much fiber you eat to see if you need more, or less?

Sometimes the over flush sets you up for the next round of constipation, so maybe a more even distribution to keep it all wet and moving rather than flush then dry out and flush and be too dried out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mucus is a lubricant so if you can ease the constipation you may ease that.

Most drugs that might dry up the mucus are constipating so may not be worthwhile.

Have you tried daily use of an osmotic (as well as increasing water consumption?) Or looking at how much fiber you eat to see if you need more, or less?

Sometimes the over flush sets you up for the next round of constipation, so maybe a more even distribution to keep it all wet and moving rather than flush then dry out and flush and be too dried out.
Thanks Kathleen

The movicol sachets that I use for a flush out are is an iso-osmotic laxative so instead just have one daily and not two for a flush out. I also want to increase my water and fibre intake which I am planning on doing, however right now I just feel quite constipated right now and It doesn't feel very nice. Do you think I should flush it out how I normally do and then start from scratch by adding more water and fibre to my diet? Or should I do something else.

Thanks very much

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yeah you could do what you usually do and then start fresh. Wish you all the best.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Depends, but a lot of poeple seem to like the flush out and start fresh, just remember if you over-flush you may have a bit of back up until the new routine gets established.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts