Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pattern has been C for several days (maybe 5 - 7), followed by large BMs which only sometimes end up watery. Lately, though, I go 3 or 4 days with nothing and usually end up with D and sometimes it's very urgent. A new GI just prescribed exercise 3x/wk (for anxiety), Metamucil w/Calcium (b/c she said it's absorbed better that way), Nulev as needed but I can take Bentyl if I want to try it, and Align. Oh, and I have to keep a diet diary. She also did a thyroid test, which just came back normal, and tested for celiac disease, but I really doubt I have that. D used to only bother me sporadically and now it happens more often and I'm very anxious about it interrupting my day, which doesn't help, of course. Has anyone else experienced this same circle?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Alternating back and forth is very common.Usually if you can prevent the 3-4 days of nothing you can break the cycle. People usually want to treat the diarrhea, but that "flush out" is a normal response to a few days of constipation so if you can keep things moving every day to every other day you can stop the diarrhea attacks which then set you up for the next round of constipation.See if the fiber helps and if not maybe add a bit of an osmotic laxative (like a magnesium supplement or just enough miralax to keep the fiber wet and moving.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I love the idea of taking Metamucil capsules instead of the powder, but you're supposed to take about 15 per day and I have to get past that. Yuck. And the possibility of this whole thing actually being celiac disease has me worrying which, of course, doesn't help anything! I appreaciate your thoughts! My next step is also going to be therapy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts