Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My name is Kayla and I am a 20-year-old college student. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease at 11 years old after a back injury trigged severe acid reflux symptoms. Until I was about 19 years old, my symptoms were very controlled since I followed (and continue to follow) a VERY strict gluten free diet. At 19, my constipation began out of the blue. I would go 2 weeks without a bowel movement (maybe a pebble or 2) and I was at the point where I could not stand straight or fit in to any pants because my stomach was so distended. I went to my pediatric gastroenterologist who simply prescribed miralax. This worked for a while but then my body started to get used to it and after a couple of months I was back to square one. I eventually introduced stool softeners and laxatives. Once again, after a few months, I was up to taking 2 laxatives and 2 stool softeners a day with absolutely NO movement (maybe a pebble every other day). Probiotics did next to nothing. I also tried doing enemas when I could and those gave me absolutely no relief. At this point, my acid reflux returned with full force, to the point of not being able to swallow anything without terrible burning in my stomach and esophagus AND my constipation was debilitating.

(AS a side note, I live a very active lifestyle. I love to run and workout and I am very conscious of my health. I am a healthy weight and eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and proteins.)

At 20 years old I decided to switch over to an "adult" gastro doctor. He tried me on bentyl with no success and also did an endoscopy and colonoscopy. The results showed nothing, my SI was completely healed from celiac damage and my colon was clean as well. I was diagnosed with IBS-C at this point. I was put on ranitidine which I take at night and that keeps that business under control. The constipation, however, was going nowhere (quite literally).

I ended up switching to a GI doctor that was closer to my college for convenience reasons. I have just started going to him in the past couple of months and he is INCREDIBLE. He performed a transit-time test (which came back normal) and tried me on amatiza as well as a low FODMAP diet (both did not work). We are now on to assessing new treatment options/ possible diagnoses.

Unfortunately, a new issue has risen which has left me BAFFLED. I have been suffering from extreme intestinal pain after the ingestion of certain foods (usually 30 minutes after). For example, I used to eat 2 eggs a day and now I cannot even eat one without extreme nausea and sharp, cramping abdominal pain for hours. The same goes for any kinds of milk products. My doctor is performing a bone density scan and testing my nutrient levels but I am just so confused. Every week I seem to gain an intolerance to another food, with EXTREME intestinal pain/nausea 30 minutes after eating. I am currently gluten free, egg free and dairy free (as well as peanut and tree nut free due to food allergies). I guess I am just wondering what will be next?

Can anyone relate? I would really appreciate some feedback. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Kayla...So sorry you are going thru all this...Nowhere in your post did I see that you were or were not diagnosed with IBS...I am certainly no doctor...and I do not have Celiac disease...but over the years I have had some of your issues...pebbles...certain foods causing pain, gerd, and maybe a couple more...It is getting late where I am and I'm about to fall asleep...So, all I can say, is if you have not discussed IBS with your Gastro doc...your GI...who is a Gastroenterologist, right? why not discuss IBS with him right away...and maybe ask for a methane/hydrogen breath test...and if it comes back positive for excess bacteria in your (gut)...intestines...you may have SIBO, small itestinal bacterial overgrowth...or IBS...there also is now an IBS blood test which will tell your doc if you have IBS...Have you ever had food poisoning? Now please remember, I am a patient, and all of the above is stuff I personally have gone thru and I am sharing with you...But maybe you will get lucky...and your new Doc will help you how...Good Luck! Let Us/Me know how you are doing...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, my GI is my gastroenterologist. So sorry I forgot to add that! I was diagnosed with IBS after my colonoscopy. I never received a methane/hydrogen breath test or a blood test. I would definitely be interested to see if I have SIBO. Thank you so much for that helpful information! definitely more things to try!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't eat a lot of pork, but when I do it's bacon, and I do eat it with fat. The grease gives me acid reflux but other than that I don't have a problem with it. I do drink coffee in the morning.. around 2 cups.

I tried dates in the morning and they caused severe bloating and no relief to my constipation. I do love salmon and fish and those work well! Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.