Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already posted on this board a few times and have had some good results with new things to help with my constipation (IBS-C). But my daughter is still having problems. She is 20, lives at home and goes to school. She has had a problem with hard bm's since a baby. She has been taking Free Lax for a while. It seems to works for weeks and then she will have a 3 day period with no BM. She will usually take a cap of miralax to get her started again. She has tried just the miralax, but being an active young adult doesn't care for the uncertainty of when it will work and I really don't want her or a prescription for bms so young. I've started her on flax oil last week. Worked really great for about 5 days, almost to great. But now she has been 3 days w/out a bm and she is getting a cold, and was on her period until today. Could the cold, more bms last week and her period have caused her to not have a bm in the last couple of days? I would also appreciate any advise on what would be safe daily and long term for her. The doc says she does not have IBS, just a lazy colon. Any help and advise would be appreciated.She also only drinks water and takes asthma meds (which I've heard can be constipating).

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi Kaye. I know how your daughter feels. I've had the same problem all my life. I'm 39 now, I have alternating d and c. I find that I have better bms (looser, larger) right before my period or during. Just after it ends I expierence harder drier and smaller bms. Also if I go a lot for a day or two, I often have a hard time having a bm for a few days afterward. I think if you are prone to constipation as I am, you need to find a pattern that works for you. I agree about laxatives, I don't like the idea of having to go at an inoppotune time. Many people have luck with a daily fiber supplement such as Metamucil or fibercon. These can make bms more predictable as you get used to them (You need to take them everyday) They help make you regular. For me diet often helps, cooked vegies such as artichokes, carrots, spinich mixed with a little olive oil. Eating fiber breads, raisens etc. can also help. It usually takes time to find your niche. With the fiber suppliments and some food items, you may get increased gas, so experiment a little, and keep a food diary to help determine what works and what doesn't. Good Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.