Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything I can do while I'm on the toilet to help me have a bowel movement? Is there a certain way to sit or can I move a certain part of my body or anything?If anyone knows I would appreciate it if you'd let me know.Thanks,AngelineK

·
Registered
14 Posts
I learned from my grandmother that if you bring something into the bathroom with you like a computer or book or something that helps you keep your mind off of it and then that could help with a bowel movement. Also, you can try eating fiber or fiber capsules, taking laxatives, or taking stool softeners. The stool softeners really work. I really wish you luck and I will pray for you.~Kate~

·
Community Manager
13,220 Posts
some of us find it helpful to put our feet on a small stool or a small overturned wastebasket while using the toilet. i found it takes a little experimenting to find which height works best but it definitely helps me to elevate my feet like this--it allows for a more complete evacuation.have you been checked by a gastro doc for pelvic floor dysfunction? there are tests that can show if your pelvic floor muscles are coordinating properly for a bowel movement and they can test for other problems as well. if you have pfd problems a physiotherapist can teach you exercises to do that will help.about pfd exercises, this post had some helpful advice. although i'm sure receiving the instructions in person, with a therapist, is the best way. (hopefully old links still work with this new forum update) http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=113788also another poster said her physiotherapist taught her this:"use a footstool while sitting on the toilet, bend knees and place toes on it so knees are higher than hips (i use a bin turned sideways)lean forward and rest elbows on thighs, keeping back straight.hold your breath and slowly bulge out your tummy as you have a bm--placing one hand on your tummy helps feel this action. this helps relax your pelvic floor.at end of bm, pull up your pelvic floor to close." ...personally i'm not sure about the holding the breath part. the hands on the tummy advice helps though. another poster mentioned blowing (as in blowing out candles) twelve times helps...that's what her therapist said to do. along with the footstool etc.takes some experimenting maybe to find what's right for you. good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.