Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined this message board a couple months ago when things started getting pretty bad. I don't really post a lot but I came here mostly for support. I had no idea that there were so many people suffering from the same awfulness! I'd always relied on Immodium (or offbrand versions) but I didnt want to build up a dependence. So I started going through the forums for ideas and suggestions of things I could try. No one knows about my 'condition' so to speak and I am too embarrassed to talk about it with anyone but this board so I needed to come up with something and fast! Specially since I knew I was going to be taking a couple day/weekend trips with friends and my boyfriend. The following is what I've been doing for roughly 5-6 weeks and it has made my life SO much better! I dont feel as nervous going over to my boyfriend's house, I don't feel as nervous going out to dinner with friends, and I'm not as worried about our big new years eve party this year. • I started keeping a food diary. Every day I wrote down everything I ate. How many of what pills I took. When I felt okay. When I felt bloated. When I had D. Etc. to see if I could notice a pattern. • I started taking:- Calcium (just one tablet every other day so I wouldnt overload myself. I heard that can cause C.)- Vitamin D (recommended dosage according to the bottle)- Digestive Advantage (just one capsule a day though the box says some people might need 2)- Peppermint Pills (just one unless I feel particularly iffy and then I'll take one before leaving the house too)- Acidolpholous (I've always drank that kind of milk since my mom is lactose intolerant, but I found that adding 1 - 2 capsules a day really helps too specially if I am not eating as much cereal or drinking a lot of milk that day).• I gave up coffee, caffeine and soda. I actually gave up soda over the summer and have felt better in general so I thought why ot also give up coffee. I allow myself a small cup maybe once a week but I now drink Peppermint Tea every single morning. This stuff is awesome! Whoever on this board recommended it to me, THANK YOU. I also sometimes drink a cup before going out to dinner, or going over to a friend's house. I dont know if its all in my head or if its the peppermint, but I feel soothed.
I always always always carry 4 - 6 Immodium in my pocket just to feel 'safe'. I've found that if in my HEAD I feel 'okay' and not as nervous or concerned, then that worry won't transfer to my stomach and I'll be okay a little longer. • I started exercising back in August and I think that is also helping. I exercise 3 - 5 times a week depending on my schedule, doing a combination of pilates, yoga and zumba. I'm assuming that this is at least helping me get healthier, not sure if its directly affecting the ibs or not, but as it is a change I've made in the last few months, I wanted to put that in here. Like I said, I don't know if this is all in my head or not, but after I started the Digestive Advantage, about 10 days into using it, I noticed a HUGE change. I realized I hadnt had any 'attacks' in several days. I could make it through the night without getting up except to pee. I could go out to dinner with my friends and as long as I didn't eat anything fried or dairy-based, I was generally okay. It has totally changed my outlook! Not a cure, I still worry about the D, but I havent had any bad, embarrassing or exceptionally painful episodes in at least 3 weeks. And I didn't have to give up red wine
I wanted to share just in case any of this might work for someone else! Happy Holidays everyone!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am really happy to read thisI've done pretty much the same thingno coffee, caffeine and soda, exercize 3-5 times a week; its good for your bowel movements, take calcium with vitamin D, plus good dietalthough;?? what is digestive advantage, and the purpose of the pepperment pills the Acidolpholous is a probiotic, what product do you buy?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just use whatever Acidolpholous (sp?) pills my mom has in the cabinet - she takes 2 daily and has for years along with Activia.The Digestive Advantage is this AMAZING product I found people talking about in the forums - its supposed to help regular your system? I dont know how it works really, but I found it on Amazon for cheaper than at the product's website. For the first 6 - 10 days I was kinda bloated and gassy but then it evened out and I take one every morning. I think its supposed to make you have more normal bowel movements. Don't ask me how! I just know its been working. And the peppermint pills. Well I read in these forums that a lot of people use peppermint products because peppermint is soothing to the stomach (that's why peptobismal has a vaguely peppermint feel to it). Some people even said they could suck on altoids when they were feeling that feeling in their stomach and it was enough peppermint to help it go away. [I do keep altoids in my car now lol] That's why I'm drinking peppermint tea. Its amazing! Who knew that peppermint was so helpful? I started thinking back to the past, recent years how I would always wanna chew gum or suck on mints when I was feeling nauseated thinking it just put a better flavor in my mouth but I guess it was also helping my stomach too! So have you found that what you've been doing is working too? I just really can't believe how many GOOD days I have in a row! Like, I'd say I haven't had a bad incident in almost a week. This is crazy and amazing and I'm knocking on wood
And now I"m gonna go brew some peppermint tea :-D

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's funny, I just started taking the Digestive Advantage IBS 3 days ago, the Acidophillus and at least 1 Yougurt 3 weeks ago, and the vitamin D 2000iu this past week or so. Waiting to see what the results are. No issues as of yet. I have never been diagnosed with IBS, but recently had samples taken to ensure I didn't have a bacteria. I have had issues for 10 years, usually stress or alcohol set it off, but it was relatively mild until October. For whatever reason, it has gotten worse. I lived taking Immodium, and it still usually helps, but the symptoms (diaherria, urgency), have gotten to the point that I have only had 4-5 drinks in 2 months. What's odd is, this is the low stress part of the year for me at work, and I have no other real stress, so I know that isn't a trigger. My doctor suggested I go to a GI early next year, whenever an appointment is available. I started reading online, looking at this forum, and other sites (WebMD, and a few others). I talked to friends, as this has been a pretty private thing for me all of this time. Turns out some others had similar issues, just for much shorter spans of time. One friend used a colon cleanser after the doctors told her there was nothing wrong with her (she had samples taken, scopes, everything). It cleared her right up, after having issues for a year. I was hesitant to do that, but had another friend that was severely lactose intolerant, and the only product that worked for him was Digestive Advantage. I saw they had an IBS product, and figured I'd give it a try. My mom is a nurse, and when things worsened, she suggested the Acidophillus. I also read a lot on Vitamin D, and figured we haven't had much sun since October, so it couldn't hurt, as it appears most folks are deficient, and it is an important component. I have been tracking everything I eat, the time, and any issues I have. I have only been doing that for 2 months, and outside of a 3 drink night that caused problems, there doesn't appear to be a real pattern. Another thought on the vitamin D (which I have yet to have tested, but is on the agenda). I grew up in the country and lived outside. I didn't have any issues at all until I moved away from home for college. I thought it was lactose intolerance back then, but I cut all milk/butter out, and still had issues. I still avoid those products, but my job, and the fact I lived in apartments up until this summer, limited my sun exposure. I had almost no issues this summer, as I did a lot of work outside. It would be nice if that was my problem. I'll reply to this thread with developments.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would recommend avoiding a colon cleanse of any sort. They can be quite dangerous.I find that exercising and imodium as my safety blanket have helped my IBS as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just an update. Since I started taking the Digestive Advantage, the Vitamin D, and the Acidophilus, I have had no issues. I think I did discover something though. I used to be a pack a day smoker, and cut that back around 2 years ago to 2 packs a week. I had even dropped slightly below that, but when I was out on the weekends, I usually smoked enough to keep that average up. I know this had an effect on my stomach issues. Especially mixed with alcohol, which seemed to be when I smoked the most. In January, my state passed laws, forcing Fire Safe Cigarettes to be the only type of cigarettes sold. It was not supposed to go into effect until next May, but they started distributing in Sept/Oct. I was unaware of these until about a week ago. I looked at the chemical used, and saw what side effects could result from it (Harvard did a study). I stopped smoking them immediately, as the change in my bathroom habits started right at the beginning of October. I have had no issue since I stopped. I knew there was a trigger, as the habits were so much more severe than I had experienced, I just had no idea they changed the cigarettes. The positive is, I have tried quitting many times in the past, cold turkey, or with the assistance of just about every stop smoking aid. I stopped the instant I realized that it may be causing the problem. It is making lot of people sick. Apparently, there is higher amount of Naphthalene released, which is released from mothballs, burning coal, or cigarette smoke. Acute exposure of humans to naphthalene by inhalation, ingestion, and dermal contact is associated with hemolytic anemia, damage to the liver, and, in infants, neurological damage. Symptoms of acute exposure include headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, malaise, confusion, anemia, jaundice, convulsions, and coma.http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/naphthal.htmlJust figured I'd pass it along.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
What is Digestive Advantage? What are it's ingredients and what exactly is it supposed to do?I don't know if it's available in the UK or if it's even on prescription from the doctors.Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It seems an interesting concept that a supplement like that can help people manage IBS quite effectively.It's something I may try in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts