Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I like putting turmeric in a lot of foods, especially rice and other grains as well as lentils and beans.I also make a tea I like (from some Chinese Medicine classes I took). Put a small amount of turmeric and cinnamon in a cup and fill with hot water. Usually like 1/4 teaspoon of each. If you put too much it doesn't really dissolve. I use that more for congestion from my allergies but I like it any time. I just like the way it tastes.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Probiotics.They stop short in digesting carbs so do not release gas.I've taken them long enough I don't need them every day anymore, but farting a lot after a meal with beans in it is a sure sign I need to take them for a few weeks again.I also prefer to cook beans from dry rather than canned. If you soak them overnight in water and then pour off the water and give them a rinse and then cook in fresh water most of the gas causing carbs go down the drain.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For anyone who is interested, I found this information on Tumeric and Inflammatory Bowel Disease:An Effective Treatment for Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseCurcumin may provide an inexpensive, well-tolerated, and effective treatment for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) such as Crohn's and ulcerative colitis, recent research suggests. In this study, mice given an inflammatory agent that normally induces colitis were protected when curcumin was added to their diet five days beforehand. The mice receiving curcumin not only lost much less weight than the control animals, but when researchers checked their intestinal cell function, all the signs typical of colitis (mucosal ulceration, thickening of the intestinal wall, and the infiltration of inflammatory cells)were all much reduced. While the researchers are not yet sure exactly how curcumin achieves its protective effects, they think its benefits are the result of not only antioxidant activity, but also inhibition of a major cellular inflammatory agent called NF kappa-B. Plus, an important part of the good news reported in this study is the fact that although curcumin has been found to be safe at very large doses, this component of turmeric was effective at a concentration as low as 0.25 per cent-an amount easily supplied by simply enjoying turmeric in flavorful curries.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Interesting. I know it is a rodent study, but maybe there is something to it. I have been taking a turmeric supplement for a couple years. I wasn't looking for improved GI conditions with it, but during the time I've taken turmeric my condition has improved greatly. I also supplement my diet with 8000ius of vitamin D3, fish oil, and eat a low carb diet.I've noticed also that turmeric makes my hair shinny. Kind of a nice side effect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.