Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how people cope with the "going out" factor. If you have a plan that works well for you please share. Many ibser's find it hard to leave their homes, for fear of finding a bathroom. Will they get there on time? Will it be occupied when they get there? What if I have to ride with someone? Such as a friend or the boss and I suddenly have to go? I think we all need some ideas for leaving the safety of our own bathrooms. Please, post any ways that you have found that work for you. Thanks all.

· Registered
92 Posts
Hi Kazzy,I just replied to you in the other thread by Ian, over in the Diarrhea forum and suggested how you could build up trips gradually.
Here are some general distraction techniques that you might find useful. Use one or all of them if you need to. Of course, if you are the one doing the driving, you don't want to be too distracted! *grin. Such techniques can sometimes help if you find yourself waiting to go out, or if you are out and you feel anxiety start to build. It's the "what ifs" and fear that do not help IBS symptoms, I find. Also, if you are travelling, make sure you have a survival pack with you and dose yourself up beforehand with something that works for you. What would we do without immodium?
I'm sure other people will have loads more hints and tips. If anyone has any tips on how to deal with IBS when you are walking, please share 'em with me!
General Distraction Techniques:1)count backwards.2)count in a different language, or repeat conversational phrases in a new language, to your self. I like counting in French, though I always forget "30". Weird, huh? 3) think about the other people in the room: imagine what their occupations might be. Imagine what types of hobbies they might have. Imagine if they could be represented as an animal, vegetable or mineral, what type would they be?4) think about yourself: if you were a superhero, what kind of powers might you have?5)if you are mathematically inclined, think about solving algebra problems, or reciting PI to yourself.5) if you are musical, see if you can recite your favourite song lyric. Then try to do it backwards.6)Think about the reward you are going to give yourself when you make it home in one piece! 7)Spend a while learning about a new country and when you are in an anxious situation, try and recall everything you have learned about the new country.8)Tell yourself that you will cope and you will get through the situation. Do this over and over until you start to feel calmer, even if feleing clam is the last thing in the world, you actually feel. Anxiety will pass. It's not pleasnat, but it will pass. Some relief there, then? *grin9)If you can, put on some headphones and listen to music.10) try and regulate your breathing: aim for breath to come from your diaphragm, not high up in your chest. Shallow breathing doesn't help anxiety.

· Registered
92 Posts
Hi Kazzy,I just replied to you in the other thread by Ian, over in the Diarrhea forum and suggested how you could build up trips gradually.
Here are some general distraction techniques that you might find useful. Use one or all of them if you need to. Of course, if you are the one doing the driving, you don't want to be too distracted! *grin. Such techniques can sometimes help if you find yourself waiting to go out, or if you are out and you feel anxiety start to build. It's the "what ifs" and fear that do not help IBS symptoms, I find. Also, if you are travelling, make sure you have a survival pack with you and dose yourself up beforehand with something that works for you. What would we do without immodium?
I'm sure other people will have loads more hints and tips. If anyone has any tips on how to deal with IBS when you are walking, please share 'em with me!
General Distraction Techniques:1)count backwards.2)count in a different language, or repeat conversational phrases in a new language, to your self. I like counting in French, though I always forget "30". Weird, huh? 3) think about the other people in the room: imagine what their occupations might be. Imagine what types of hobbies they might have. Imagine if they could be represented as an animal, vegetable or mineral, what type would they be?4) think about yourself: if you were a superhero, what kind of powers might you have?5)if you are mathematically inclined, think about solving algebra problems, or reciting PI to yourself.5) if you are musical, see if you can recite your favourite song lyric. Then try to do it backwards.6)Think about the reward you are going to give yourself when you make it home in one piece! 7)Spend a while learning about a new country and when you are in an anxious situation, try and recall everything you have learned about the new country.8)Tell yourself that you will cope and you will get through the situation. Do this over and over until you start to feel calmer, even if feleing clam is the last thing in the world, you actually feel. Anxiety will pass. It's not pleasnat, but it will pass. Some relief there, then? *grin9)If you can, put on some headphones and listen to music.10) try and regulate your breathing: aim for breath to come from your diaphragm, not high up in your chest. Shallow breathing doesn't help anxiety.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.