Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has just come to mind but I would love any input on the matter. Sorry in advance for any going off topic. It's a bad habit I have with IBS. I think somehow complaining about it helps me cope with it but sorry in advance anyway. This summer was hotter than we have had in a long time and I got incredibly sick. To the point that I had to do even more extensive research and realised that IBS can be triggered by temperature changes. A problem I already have with my lungs that doctors refuse to believe but I'm used to that. My problem is that now I am aware that my IBS can't handle heat very well, how can I manage it. I have my holiday in Spain next year and I know it will be hotter than the UK. I thought about using a parasol and just taking it everywhere with me but does anyone have experience of this working or am I just going to be extremely sick the whole time. I should also mention that my IBS does not allow me to take any medication. Calpol used to be the strongest thing I could take until my last cold and now that's too much for me. I do take lactose tablets and H&B have digestion aids but those are the only safe things for me and I'm not even sure how. All they can do is make me able to at least finish eating before rushing off as well so there's that. On rare occassions, they let me eat before noon so that's a bonus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Nicole! Yes I have the exact same problem it’s such a problem! I believe weather really effects IBS. I notice for myself in the summer or when it’s hot I get really bad diarrhea and then in the winter or when temperature drops I get very constipated. This summer it was really hard for me to manage here in the states it was really hot in August but I felt drinking warm water helped me have regular bowel movements where you are not getting diarrhea or constipation. I drank it in the morning and before bedtime Eating low acidic meals helped or with not really any fat, drinking green tea helped, and yoga Helped. I learned the hard way that eating tomatoe sauce caused it to act up. Mines acts up during my period I’m not sure if you can have it but Imodium does the trick too! You can even take it ahead of time too. A really regiment diet also can help I know it’s harder when you’re on vacation and there’s food everywhere but the key is sticking to the same diet. I can’t take any pills really too because of the side effects.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this problem. You have no idea how much of a relief it is to know that. The UK doesn't usually get very hot summers but this year the weather was dragging heat from Spain and Africa so it was a great summer. Or it should have been. I'm used to my migraines acting up especially in summer but this was the first time my IBS was so bad. I can usually tell when an attack is coming or what caused it even if there's nothing I can do about it but I just couldn't figure it out. So after extensive research, I found my IBS reacts very badly to heat. It seemed to be a normal IBS thing too. So now in extreme heat, I have my migraines acting up, soon followed by my eyes losing the will to see because of how sensitive to light they are. I sometimes get looks like I'm drunk early in the day in summer because I'm walking all over the place but I won't notice. I think I'm walking in a straight line but I'm actually not and sometimes I can't even walk without constantly falling over. My IBS was very bad with the pain and the diarrhoea. I could barely move all summer. I drank electrolytes which helped with m energy a bit but I want to enjoy my holiday, not be stuck in a dark room, waiting to go home.

Unfortunately, I can't take Imodium or other pills. I have no idea how I'm able to take the 2 pills I have really. I can't take pain killers or cold medicine, not even calpol anymore. Instant flare up. Major attack. Same problem with eating before noon. Is that an IBS thing or is that just me? MY IBS also flares up with my period. I also have PCOS and it just feels like they are fighting for what gets to cause me the most pain every time.

We have been planning to go to Disneyland for Mickey's 100th in 2028 since my son was born. He will be around 11 so its a perfect age too but if I can't handle Spain's heat then Florida has no chance. Not to mention Spain is a week and Florida will be about 2 or maybe over. I thought a parasol because some of them do have UV protection but I'm not even sure if that's what I'm looking for. Spain has so much gluten free food and the UK is very behind on the subject so I was excited and just yesterday remembered, I can't be around heat so what am I going to do? How do I stay in the sun without being in the sun?!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can relate, in my case I have severe anxiety where my whole body becomes tense which causes myself to get diarrhea, stomach pain, gassy, and a bad burning sensation mixed with period hormones doesn’t help and it’s hard to tell other than my period when it will act up, the summer time is when it really acts up! I couldn’t even enjoy my 30th birthday last month because I had a flare here in New York we had an extremely hot fall like temperatures were In the 80’s! and also I get really bad yeast infections which also cause IBS to go haywire . It’s weird I can eat pizza ice cream one day and then the next I can’t. Interesting enough I notice sometimes if I’m outside in the sun I’ll get really gassy, stomach aches and have to head to the toilet. I’m really underweight I have been my whole life but IBS has made it even worse, and it’s hard because I’m hungry and have a fast metabolism. Your mentioned your very sensitive to heat I’m not sure if you have yet, but maybe ask your doctor to check your thyroid or you can see an Endrocronologist. Thyroid conditions can cause severe hot flashes or sensitivity to heat which can also cause GI problems like diarrhea, gas, and nausea at least you can rule that out. Florida can get really hot and humid in the summer and yes I get headaches or my allergies act up too. I know it’s like you can’t try new pills or medications for it it’s like we have to figure everything ourselves! I would also if you can take a probiotic which can really help the gut or just eating Yougurt can help. It sounds cheesy but water especially in the summer is the best way to go and stay cooler. I felt like I was the only one who thought weather effects my IBS and am happy to know I’m not the only one!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have anxiety but I get stressed so easily these days. It doesn't even have to something big but I will have a flare up. Sometimes I'll get slightly stressed but feel like its not a big deal and my IBS will scream "OPPURTUNITY" and you can guess what happens next. I have the same problems when I'm in the sun. Why can't I just enjoy the weather for eating ice cream? I feel like I'm overweight. Doctors keep telling me I'm like a pound or two over normal weight so I'm fat and need to lose weight or I need to put on weight. I keep telling them, my weight is not my choice, it reflects my IBS' mood every day so some days I look so bad, I refuse to go outside. It's the worst. I wish I could speak to a doctor but all I get is that its normal and no matter what it is; it's just a part of IBS. Very normal. As for my migraines, I had a CT scan like 7 years ago and nothing came up. They said it was just migraines. A few years later my eye sensitivity got worse and I had days where I woke up and could barely see because everything was jumping around. It's like on films when you see a woman who's woken up after being drugged and everything is a massive blur. Its how bad my eyes can get and it lasts for days. Then I'm walking all over the place for a few days after. I explained it to the doctors but they just said its a side effect of my migraines and nothing they can do about it. As for figuring everything ourselves. It is such a joke!! Constantly I'm like, this is not normal for my IBS, guess its time for hours or days of research to work this out. Oh look, more things I can't do because of my IBS. This is just what I needed to know. This condition is not the worst or anything like that! Or anytime I come across food I haven't heard of and straight to google. Only to get this ingredient is very bad for IBS. I know my IBS at its worse and I avoid anything that's a high risk. When you know what's going to come out of it, you don't want to risk that. I absolutely hate drinking water but when my IBS is having an attack or if its summer, it really helps and I will carry some everywhere with me. Even if it just helps me be able to move, I will take it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts