Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has probably been discussed already, no doubt many times. But I've been away from the BB for over a year, if not longer (due to not having a computer for a long time), but I was curious how everyone deals with their IBS when it flares up at work? Like, do you let your co-workers know that you have IBS? And your boss....do you tell them, or don't you?I'm pretty lucky since I have the kind of job where I can just get up and leave anytime I need to, and there are several bathrooms I can choose from (I work in a hospital). I've learned from past experience that sometimes the less said about any medical "problems", the better. Altho one of my co-workers has IBS too and I told her that I have it as well. Still, I find myself "sneaking" out of the department if I have a flare up at work, and I try not to let people know I'm not feeling well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
HI THERE PONY GIRL.THE ONLY PERSON I TELL IS MY MANAGER. IF I HAVE TO GO AND MY COWORKERS ASK ME MY WHEREABOUTS, I JUST TELL THEM I DRANK TOO MUCH WATER, OR I USE PMS AS AN EXCUSE...BUT NEVERTHELESS, I DONT EVER TELL THEM ABOUT MY IBS. YOURE RIGHT...THE LESS THEY KNOW, THE BETTER.IT SAVES ME TIME AND GRIEF FROM PEOPLE TRYING TO DIAGNOSE THE CAUSE AND BE SYMPATHETIC.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, sometimes the less said the better. Some co-workers may be nice about it, but you never know when they might not be nice either....so, I'm with you on that one!I usually just tell them that I drank too much pop, or water, or something. Or, that I ate something that just didn't agree with me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Pony- Depending on your work environment i think they actually don't notice as much as you think they do. We are all SO conscious of it.When I was having a real bad day, they guy sitting next to me told me he hadn't noticed that i've been gone 1/2 the am.-Lee

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I'm pretty up front about it. My manager knows and many of my co-workers. I'm pretty matter of fact about it and treat it as a medical condition. But I do want people to knwo that at times I may have to leave a meeting at an inconvenient time. I've found my stress leves have actually gone down since telling more people. But it's all about attitude - like I said, I treat it as a medical condition and not what defines me.nancy

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, that is so true, they probably don't notice I'm gone anyway! Good point!! And, I have to agree about reducing the stress level when you tell people about it...that has defintely worked with my friends who know...we can even joke about it!My boss has been really decent about any time that I have been away from work, so I would imagine that she'd be pretty understanding. However, I have only been at my job for about a year and a half, and I didn't want to mention anything about my IBS just yet. I imagine that some day I will let my boss know about it if I ever have to take any time off of work from it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i know im a lil late but i was just diagnosed with this deal last night.. and well, as for tellin just a manager it get right around quick if u work in a dealership. ife been living with this for quiet a while but never found a doc that could actually pin point anything and used me as a test bed for certain meds.. and if anyone has taken zolnorm, all i have to say about that is i hated it.. made evertying ten times worse( for me) and got my fellow employess a lil upset when i was no where to be found. so yea.. im still learning what the real deal is with this

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.