Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all of you,I just came upon this board, and was surprised by the amount of posts made here, so I decided to take part. Hopefully I won't be too bothersome to the readers of this post.
To introduce myself, I am a 19-year-old Swede. When I was about three months old, my parents first took me to a doctor in the hopes of finding out what was the matter with my stomach, since I apparently had diarrhea problems and such. The years thereafter they've spent prodding and exploring whatever they could think of, to no avail. I've been put through periods of removing lactose and gluten from my diet, in case that caused the problems, none of which helped. As nothing could be found wrong with any physical tests, I was sent to a psychiatrist, but as I was an annoyed young teen, this ended quite swiftly.During my school years, I was away from school at least one day every week, for a long period of time. However, this was never much of a problem, since I was a fast learner, and school back then wasn't difficult. More problematic was the physical education, which I hated since jumping around is never much fun when your stomach starts wanting to turn itself inside-out.However, I've now come to a point in my life where I can't just ignore the problem. Last autumn I applied to a university, moved out of the parental home, and in with my girlfriend. Everything went fine for a month, and then everything suddenly Crashed. My stomach basically went nuts.Suddenly I felt required to sit in the bathroom some four hours per day, with a diarrhea that came and went every now and then, to leave a little present below (excuse me for being personal). This made it impossible to attend lectures and lessons, and with the high tempo of university studies, I was soon left behind my course mates.Since the stomach ache didn't let up for weeks and weeks, I couldn't get back to my studies, and into a dark spiral I went. Soon I found myself in a depression, which perhaps helped the IBS keep stronger. After some two months I agreed to seek medical help, having finally been persuaded by parents and girlfriend that the problems wouldn't just go away, like they had before. After a number of tests, where I was found healthy, they told me I had IBS.Glad to, after so long, find a name for the ghost disease I'd had all my life, I hoped a cure could be found, to let up this dark cloud. Of course, it didn't exist; there were no medicines to use, no magical foodproduct I could stay away from. They gave me some .. fibre thing (inolaxol) and some kind of anticramp pills when the pain was at its worse. The fibres have helped the stool become somewhat less watery, but the pills only gave me a headache. I got a new kind, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.Now it's been eight months. I'm nowhere near able to continue studying, since I neither can get to the lessons, nor make myself study at home because of lack of ambition and belief in my own abilities. The depression has taken lust for life away from me, and I am left feeling incredibly stupid. Where my mind usually sored through problems before, it now trudges on like treacle.The biggest problem of all, however, is that when this depression hit, I lost all contact with the more powerful emotions. Love was totally gone from my life, along with passion for anything. The only way I can describe it is if you imagine an emotional scale, where I was blocked from the highest and lowest ends. Not feeling love for someone you know you've loved with such an incredible spectrum of emotions is awful. And not only for me.Some months ago, I had a breakthrough of sorts. I found my feelings again, and cried for the first time in months. Unfortunately, I also found that the love I once felt for my girlfriend was gone. This does not help rid a depression. I suppose I drifted from the point of the post.When one has to sit in the bathroom a large part of the day, how does one lead a normal life? How does one study or work? I can't see how I am supposed to support myself in the future, when I can't move myself out of the bathroom. And how does one get rid of the goddamn depression that is the consequence of this lifestyle? Should I ask the doctor for antidepressants? Will they make me discover love again?How do you all survive?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hej! V�lkommen! I know exactly how you feel. I suppose I'm more fortunate than others, since I've had this for only three years or so. But the past three years have been bad. Often I've felt anxious and depressed and have lacked the motivation to do anything. More recently, I've decided that no matter what happens, I have to maintain a positive attitude towards things. I know it sounds silly, but my outlook on life has completely changed and I've actually been able to enjoy life.Sure it's easier said than done, and I still have bad days, but I've found that there really isn't a (good) alternative. Either I can be angry, depressed or anxious (which just made things worse), or I can try to be happy. And once you're determined not to let this thing get the better of you, you will feel better.There's a lot written on this board about cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). In fact, there's a separate forum dedicated to the subject. I firmly believe that this is the answer.Good luck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I offer you sympathy as well as empathy for your situation. I have dealt with IBS-D for 13 years give or take. To read my story, go into the Lotronex discussion group and click on "an alternative to try". I am still going strong and not ONE problem yet. It's been a month on the medication now.Hang in there, and don't give up hope. Listen to your body and stay strong with what you think is wrong, what may work, and make your doctor listen. If he/she won't you deserve a better doc.The drug site on the opening page for this site helped me a lot. Based on what I saw there, I researched it on sites such as www.webmd.com and referenced a Physician's Desk Reference as well.I'll be praying for you!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I happen to be a university advisor who suffers from IBS. My advice to you is this:You have to take things step-by-step. Don't overwhelm yourself worrying about how IBS is chronic and you may never rid yourself of it completely. Instead, fight small battles one at a time in the war against IBS.Set a goal to get through a few minutes of reading without letting your mind be distracted by your gut. Then gradually increase that amount of time.Set small, attainable goals to deal with your symptoms too! Be patient with your body and mind. Educate yourself about ways of dealing with IBS. Experiment with these various ways. And CELEBRATE when one of them gives you partial relief from a symptom or two!In my case, I've been battling IBS for 8 years. Part of that included graduate school. There are times it keeps me home from work when I'd rather be there helping college students like yourself, and I can't deny that when that happens, it brings me down a little. But I reassure myself that if I get some rest, put the heating pad on my tummy, and control my attitude, I'll be back in service in no time. When I say "in service," I have to accept that I may not feel 100% like some of the people I work with...instead, I have to decide what is 100% for ME!Perhaps I am wrong, but I believe that with careful planning and the right attitude, that you can still manage a degree with IBS. I will not tell you it will be easy. It won't.What is right attitude? Patience is key. Getting mad at your circumstances (if your gut is anything like mine) will only make the symptoms worse. Many people say being nervous is the worst...it is right up there, but for me it seems that anger and frustration are major culprits. Let go of those and see if your symptoms don't improve!While you're at it, dump ANYTHING with high fructose corn syrup. I still have bad days since doing that, but I recover MUCH faster!!!We're here for you! Hang in there!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My only advice is to try the hypnosis tapes that you can find on this website. Many people have benefited from them and for me they have had pretty impressive improvements in my symptoms. This is the only thing I've found to make a substantial difference in my symptoms. The symptoms that you have listed sound very troubling but I think if you try hypnosis you might be able to reduce them or even eliminate them. Go over to the Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy section to learn more about this. I swear it makes a huge difference, before I did hypnosis my life was a living hell but now it's slowly getting better.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Every time I read posts like yours I get tears in my eyes because I was about your age when I started with IBS and I know how It can take the fun out of life just when you should be living it up. I have had many ups and downs over the years and there have been times that I was ready to just give it up. The hardest part, aside from the illness itself has been the lack of understanding from family and friends. After all of these years I have finally decided that I will do the best I can to lead a normal active life but there will be days when I can't. If others choose not to understand that is there problem. I hope you can work through the depression and get whatever help you need . IBS may not go away but you really can survive it. Many people are getting an education online and working at home. Maybe you could give that a try until you are able to return to school. Good luck. Lin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dear Annoying--Thank you for sharing your story, and please know that we all can sympathize with your situation. You are not alone. I do believe that we will all find the answer to this awful illness one day, but that until then we can focus on controlling the symptoms. As such, have you tried plain anti-diarrheals(such as Imodium, Lotomil)?? I have suffered with IBS-D (diarrhea) for nearly 10 years now (currently 32 years old), and have found much relief by taking a little Imodium every morning. My doctor says that taking it every day is fine, and it really does help to slow things down. It also gives me the confidence that I can make it away from the bathroom. Another confidence builder is that I ALWAYS take a bunch of Imodium with me (just in case!!!) when I go out-- just knowing that I have it with me helps with the anxiety. I hope this helps. I know it sounds simple, but perhaps it can give you some relief as well. What I have learned is not to be afraid of medication-- let it help you if it can. Focus on controlling the symptoms and you may feel a little better.Best wishes to you...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.