Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my on-going quest to determine "trigger foods," I used to think that corn-sweetners were a major culprit, but I think about about to widen the scope of my corn avoidance to nearly all corn products.Is there anyone who is relatively sure that they CAN have corn? I know it is a common irritant for IBS suffers...any theories as to why?SteveE

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yes , I eat corn chips all the time. I agree about corn sweeteners though because of the sugar. By the way I just found out after much pain that I can't eat Albacore ( a type of tuna fish ). After two years of tracking everything I eat I'm still making mistakes ( discoveries ). By the way I challenged myself with corn chips by eating a whole bag one day on a empty stomach, no problems except I temporarily got tried of the taste of corn chips.

G

·
Many people who feel they may be allergic to corn will have D after eating anything with corn in it or eating the corn itself.
Some people have found that they can eat fresh corn on the cob, but not commercial canned or frozen corn. The reason is often that they are really allergic to the sulfer dioxide used in the proccessing of the corn rather than the actual corn itself.(I got this info from "The Allergy Self-help Book" by Sharon Faelten and the editors of Prevention Magazine.) Or you may just really be intollerant to the corn in anything. Personally, since I have had this bad case of IBS, I haven't been able to eat much of anything. I believe that allergies or food intolerances are to blame for alot of the IBS problems that we suffer today. You might find the above mentioned book helpful in your search for relief. It does sound like maybe an intollerance of some kind that you have.
[This message has been edited by Lynn (edited 01-13-99).]

G

·
I think corn is just basically hard to digest. Just think about the times you've eaten corn and what it looks like the next time you see it. Almost like you never even chewed the stuff. I also remember that corn was a big no-no while I was nursing my little ones, as I was guaranteed to pass on a tummy ache. I have a love-hate relationship with corn, I love it and it hates me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts