Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, without thinking last weekend we were waiting for a table at a restaurant and I started snacking on a mix of corn chips. I paid for it. I'm new to this IBS and have yet to determine what works and doesn't work.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Christiana,Usually corn flakes are a good cereal for people with IBS, as they are fairly easy to digest. It may be worth while to just check the ingredient list on the box though, as a lot of cereals have many additives and it could be one of those that is causing you problems. However, everyone with IBS is different and cornflakes may not be good for you in particular. Have you tried any rice cereals? Rice is also easy to digest and usually pretty safe (there are as you are probably aware exceptions to every rule though).With respect to corn chips, again it may be additives that are upsetting you. Most types of corn chips are loaded with added flavours, colours, preservatives etc. It could also be the flavours ie if they are spicy flavoured or chilli flavoured etc. I know my stomach totally rebels at anything that is so overpoweringly flavoured as many types of potato and corn chips. Check also that the ones you are eating are baked and not fried. If they are fried it could be the fat that is upsetting your stomach.Hope that is of some help. BTW are you IBS-C, IBS-D or a combination? That can also make a difference to what you are able to eat. :love:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Not only do corn chips bother me, but so does corn meal, corn starch, popcorn, corn syrup, etc. I'm corn-free and generally doing better than I was during the corn-fed days of old. I still have an occasional flare-up, but I wouldn't be suprised if that's not because corn is so difficult to remove from the diet in the U.S..

G

·
I can eat Tostitos white corn chips and in fact it helps when I'm starving and need to eat something fast. They are low in fat. But I don't eat too many because all chips are salty.Usually, corn gives me very loose stools. I've just recently been able to have half cob of fresh supersweet corn and worked my way up to whole cob once in a while.Love corn flakes but they are full of sugar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts