Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my teenage years from about 13-18 I suffered from an eating disorder. I would starve myself for extended periods of time and if I did eat it was rarely over 800 calories in one day. Occasionally I would binge massively and I would always get D which I didn't find that surprising and actually when I was in that state of mind I was actually quite pleased about because I thought it meant I wouldn't gain. I also used to take herbal laxatives sometimes which was definitely not a good idea but I was young and stupid. Looking back on it now I can't believe I actually GAVE myself D.I suffer from bad IBS-D now. I never went through the proper treatment for my eating disorder I just kind of snapped out of it and started eating everything in sight for a couple of months. And that's when the D started. Is it possible that it's this that could have caused or at least triggered my ibs? I always thought that maybe my body forgot how to digest food in that time and that it was so shocked when it started getting loads of food again it went into overdrive and has never quite adjusted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Now that I think of it, it kind of makes sense. I had an eating disorder, too. Maybe it did trigger our IBS? I would starve myself and binge and throw up and all that wonderful stuff for the longest time and I probably confused the hell out of my stomach. I don't have a definite answer to your question but you definitely just made me think about how my IBS started.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It does seem that a long period of highly disordered eating seems to through the gut off its game.After all forced starvation (From a reality TV show or because there actually isn't any food to eat because you are in a poor area with a famine) can screw up the GI tract. In famine conditions they have to be very careful how they start people back on food because it takes awhile to get things working properly again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.