Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I had some asian food with teriyaki sauce (sweet). A couple of hours later, I had some sweet milk subsitute. A few hours after that, I started having a lot of foul smelling (ammonia like) gas and a bit of burping too. Don't wan't to be gross, but the gas and burp, both had the smell of that teriyaki sauce. So, I have reason to suspect the sauce.

But, there was no discomfort or pain. The only problem was that I could not sleep at my regular time and my sleep was broken 3-4 times in the night. Now, I am a groggy, tired and I have work to do. :(

I got a minor pin prick like pain in my left side and right side for a second or two now. Don't know if it will happen again or if it means anything.

A while ago, I had read a somewhere that one must not "feed the bacteria (which ones ???)" with too much sugar and such. If this "not feeding the bacteria" is true, I'd like to know the science behind it.

Also, is there any diet which prevents such problems. I'll decrease the sugar in my diet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi IndianRopeTrick,

I imagine that "not feeding the bacteria" refers to SIBO, though I'm not sure, it depends on the context of the comment.

The science behind not feeding the bacteria in your gut in a way that you shouldn't is described in great detail in Elaine Gottschall's book, "Breaking The Vicious Cycle." In short, if the lining of the small intestine has been damaged, you will not be able to digest complex carbohydrates completely (and table sugar is actually a complex carbohydrate, it's a disaccharide, not a monosaccharide); the partially digested carbohydrates continue on down the pipe, and bacteria feed on them and produce gas and other by-products; this irritates the intestinal lining which produces inflammation and mucous; and this further prevents the intestinal lining from digesting complex carbohydrates. Thus the "vicious cycle."

Breaking this cycle is exactly what the Specific Carbohydrate Diet is designed to do. I know we've posted in a few of the same threads on this board, so you've probably seen my posts about how much the SCD has helped me. If you need any more specific information, I'll be happy to answer any questions I can. In the meantime, I highly recommend getting a copy of Elaine's book and reading through it to see if anything she describes sounds like it might apply to you.

Cheers,

Rich

1 - 2 of 2 Posts