Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-I have a *possible* theory of why perhaps I have IBS (or at the very least what may exacerbate my symptoms). When I was younger, I was very self-conscious about body image. I was overweight as a young boy, and a terrible habit that I picked up was holding in my stomach and tensing my abdominal region. I've since learned to relax my stomach and just 'let it all hang out'
, but something that I also realize is that when I'm standing in an upright position, I feel as though I'm tensing my rectum/sphincter. I know this may sound strange, but it's what I know realize. When I'm lying down or sitting I feel relaxed. It's only when I'm standing that I notice the tension. I know biofeedback/hypnosis can be beneficial, but again, my problem is not lying down....it's when standing. Is it possible that I've created my own IBS by my own unconscious tensing of my rectum/sphincter? Could this be the culprit? I'm going to try and work on consciously relaxing while standing. Old habits die hard!Perhaps this is also a stress-response. I've read that the external anal sphincter is under your conscious control, but the internal is not. Perhaps the buildup tension over the years caused (or contributed to) my IBS.Any thoughts?Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Can you pass a bowel movement easily, or do you have to strain for a long time.As long as you can relax it when you need to have a BM there shouldn't be any other damage you are doing.People who cannot relax the sphincter when they need to can have problems with chronic constipation, but if your body image issues caused and eating disorder that may cause problems long term as well.Now stress of any kind can make IBS worse, but it will make any health condition worse. It doesn't cause any of them, but it shows up in whatever body system has problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Kathleen - I can pass a BM easily (most likely because I'm taking Glycolax) and can relax with no problem. My main frustrating symptom is chronic bloating...oh well, I think it might still be good to be aware of any tension I'm might be holding. I'm going to start a Kefir kick pretty soon here. I'm hoping for the best. I've taken probiotics before, but they were all store bought and did nothing for me. We'll see how it goes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.