Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still in that remission period or whatever it is, but I was just thinking this morning when I went to the bathroom for a BM that I might have just had this my whole life and I never realised it. Of course there were periods when it was worse and periods when it was better and of course I had a GI infection about 7 months ago that contributed to the hell I've gone through till now. But to be honest only when I read in here that having bad cramps when having a BM is not ok. LOL I've had bad cramps when having a BM my whole life. I remember it clearly (with periods of less intensity) that especially when I was a kid I was sometimes surprised by the pain that would take my breath. I also had D during the period and also times of my life when I used to go up to 8 times a day to the bathroom on daily basis even if most of the times the consistency of the poo was normal. I once had a whole year during which I was constantly and painfully constipated. But the thing I remember most are those horrible cramps I always had when having a BM and the really bad pain I used to have sometimes on my upper left side (which my grand mum always told me it was from fatigue LOL). I always assumed that was normal
... and now I find out it is NOT. LOL Just thought I'd share this. It is weird how it sometimes takes a thing like this I've had these last months to make us realise hey! I actually had this all along, only it's never been so bad!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know what you mean. Looking back throughout my life I definitely see some hints of IBS. I remember an incident where I didn't make it to the bathroom on time when I was 9 or 10. Plus I have this vague memory of taking imodium when I was in middle school to control some symptoms, though I can't really remember how long I took it and what my stools were like then. The summer before my symptoms started, I had one or two incidents of urgency, but didn't really think anything of it until my IBS hit that fall. I feel like I must have always had a borderline stomach, but when I went on birth control, it threw whatever balance was there off and led to my symptoms. Fortunately the balance has shifted again and I'm feeling well, but it's really interesting to look back. I remember reading one study saying that a good chunk of IBS patients can date some of their symptoms back to childhood.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.