Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello allI have just discovered this site and I must say its excellent.Thus far I am unsure if I actually have IBS but the symptoms I am suffering all point towards IBS. Let me list a few:Stomach/side Pains on and off all day.Lower back pains all dayVery regular visists to the toilet, as often as 5 times a day, ranging from very hard to very watery (same day).Frequent lack of energyShooting pains in my legs.Other pains around my body.I visited the doctor yesterday who ruled out cancer etc and he thinks its maybe IBS. He has put me on a course of colofac to see if that helps but if not proper examinations will need to take place.I realise you are not doctors, I just thought you may be able to give me your opinions.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi mcr525. I'm sorry you are not doing that well. Certainly some of your symptoms could be IBS related. IBS is more specifically defined by pain or discomfort that is stopped when you go the bathroom -- usually accompanied by either diarrhea, constipation, or both.Thus, the stomach symptoms you describe could be IBS. However, back pain or pains in your legs is really nothing to do with IBS. I don't know anyone else on this board who has such symptoms. IBS is a gastrointestinal disorder and thus all the pains and discomforts center around your gastrointestinal track. I guess colofac is an anti-spasmatic like bentyl, levsin, nulev, etc. There are tons of things that can also produce the gastrointestinal symptoms you describe. Its important that your doctor rule all those out. The simplest are things like lactose intolerance or other food intolerance. There are more complicated things as well, though, that you should be checked for. I'm assuming your doctor determined it wasn't cancer by taking a biopsy -- he probably did a colonscopy while taking that? If so, I'm sure he checked for things such as colitis. The pain in legs and back could be anything -- including just simple back and leg pain due to joint soreness, bad posture, etc. I do know problems with kidneys can lead to pain in your back also, but I'm sure your doctor is testing all available avenues. I'd continue to work with him. You might also try changing around your diet to see if that helps. Keeping a log of what you eat each day and the symptoms you have is very helpful. That way, you can link up things and have an accurate representation of what your symptoms really are. If you look around on this board, you'll find lots of helpful advice. Best of luck, and keep us updated. BackFire44

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi mcr525im in the same boat as you i have pain in my stomach sides and muscle pains in the top of my legs ive tryed colofac but there not working for me also tryed buscapan but to no avail had a scan to see if i have gall stones because you get the same symptoms as ibs not got results back yet ive found while been on this web site that in other countries docs do loads of test but in england they dont want to know

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have been a bit more clear. He has only ruled out cancer by what I have told him and having a good old feel of my stomach etc. I know nothing is certain until a proper examination has been carried out which it hasnt as yet. I certainly wasnt aware that the pains usually go after a visit to the toilet. Hmmm, maybe this isnt IBS then as im in discomfort throughout the whole day really.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.