Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since early April I have been having lower right quadrant abdominal pain. It started with a pinching type pain about 2 inches diagonal from my belly button when I sat down, if I leaned back it would subside. It got progressively worse during late April and May and was accompanied by a burning/pain sensation at the base of back (tailbone). During those months I became constipated and had mucus in my stool. I felt generally ill. I went to the emergency room mid-May and had a round of test, x-rays, sonogram, blood tests, etc. Their diagnosis was a small ovarian cyst (2cm). Gave me pain medicine and said that it would disolve on it's own. Needles to say I am still having problems. I initially upped my fiber intake and cured the constipation and mucus, but I am still having the pinching sensation especially when I bend or have been sitting at work all day. I have seen several doctors since the emergency room, each have given me a different diagnosis. The latest thinks it is a pinched nerve and has me on an antiflammatory med (Vioxx). This has seemed to help the burning/pain in my back but not the abdominal pain. Recently I have had trouble with passing gas( of which I seem to have alot of), also I seem to have a sensation to have a bowel movement but can't. I'm not constipated-usually have a normal BM once or twice a day. The symptoms seem to get worse with stress. The only thing that seems to help is when I take Ativan, (my husband's). Most of the other messages describe cramping type pain, mine is more pinching and the burning pain in my lower back, has anyone experienced anything similar? Could this be IBS or does it sound more like the pinched nerve diagnosis?

G

·
This may be hard to answer since people seem to have such variation in their symptoms. I have to say the concentration of your abdominal pain, however, doesn't sound like *anything* I've ever had. With IBS, my cramps are throughout my abdomen and quite, shall we say, crippling. I also have ovarian cysts and my pain from those (unless one ruptures)is very low, like right in the midst of my sexual organs or slightly above. As for the back pain, I've had this along with cramps when things are really bad, like at the base of my spine. But your abdominal pain sounds so concentrated that maybe it's a sign of something else.Toni

G

·
Hi PattyIBS has symptoms similar to other illnesses so its not easy to diagnose without a proper investigation. It's seems as if you never see the same doctor twice --- which doesn't really help you pin anything down. Can you see someone by making an appointment, rather than going to the ER, and relate your full history for starters?Go wellRoz

·
Registered
927 Posts
do you ever get hip or back pain that is more structural (ie linked to fitness/exercise/sport) kind of problems.If so can you pinpoint a time when you injured such an area?This is just a thought. There are a lot of other good alternatives in these posts.Look at the post I put up about two days ago called potential relief for ibs AS ONE AVENUE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts