Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that sometimes when I eat wheat or rye my symptoms are worse. I had a blood test done and it came back a 4 which my doctore says it is low. Is it possible to have celiac disease and have a negative test?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some people have problems with the starches in wheat and rye and not the gluten. This doesn't show up on the celiac blood tests, but the people with this problem tend to respond faster to the lack of wheat in the diet as it doesn't take a few months for the small intestine to heal up before you see benefit.If it bothers you, don't eat it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I agree with you and have started to avoid these foods. However if it is celiac it could be alot more serious. I have alot of other weird symptoms that alot of celiacs have. I would really like to know if that is what it is and I have also read that someone could have a negative test and still have it.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well they can measure anemia and the other things that are serious, it isn't like that can't be watched out for with blood tests.There seem to be a lot of people who can't handle wheat the do not have celiac based on any possible test (even the gold standard biopsy of the small intestine and you have to be on gluten to do that test).A lot of people would rather just eat the diet as they feel better and the serious complications all go away if you eat the gluten free diet so avoiding gluten avoids the health issues so other than it can be a pain to eat that way there isn't much downside. Well other than some of the serious problems from celiac can be caused by other things so if you are anemic or whatever keep that monitored and investigate other things that may need to be treated that can also cause that. Don't assume they will go away from the gluten free diet.

·
Banned
240 Posts
Yes, it's called a false negative.Statistics show it happens one out of100 tests. Get tested again. Also, there is a differencebetween gluten intolerance (celiac) and anallergy to wheat. You can also get testedfor allergy to wheat. Celiac occurs in one out of 133 people.Wheat allergy is about the same rate.Both these are relatively rare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can also have a non-Celiac gluten intolerance. I recently was tested for Celiac and my results came back a 0, but my physician suggested I give up gluten anyway, as she has seen some people have dramatic results. Alas, I was not one of them, but I do know it's a possibility.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Same here.My celiac test also came back negative, but I abstain from wheat, because I know it bothers me.I don't try to eliminate traces, thoughJackmat

·
Registered
5 Posts
I notice if I eat wheat I get tired for a few days afterward. I do try to generally avoid it but sometimes something looks tempting to me. I tried this product:http://www.vitacost.com/Country-Life-Gluten-Zyme-Dairy-Freeand I notice if I take it right after eating the wheat, I don't get tired. That's just me though, it may not work for everyone. There are other products out there too that help digest wheat and dairy for people that can't tolerate it as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.