Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,I'm wondering if what I've been going through recently is IBS. I'm 16 this year and have had diarreah problems for the past few months. My weight has fallen from 55kg just 4 months back and my weight is currently hovering around the 51kg mark. Whenever I have an episode of diarreah, I would lose about half a kg a day and would feel nauseas and not feel like eating for the entire day. I am 1.71m tall and after all this weight loss, I'm officially underweight.This problem started 4 months back where I would constantly burp, like up to 5 times an hour. It was really weird and slightly embarrasing. I went to the doctor after my weight fell from 55 to 53 in a matter of weeks. I guess I ate way less that time. After a few more months, I went to a gastronologist, who said that I had GERD and IBS. I would have diarreah for a couple of days (usually in the morning) and after that I may have constipation for a couple of days before the diarreah returns. For some reason, I'm really afraid of getiting diarreah. I would break into cold sweats and I would feel really scared as i go in and out of the toilet. I'm still burping more than normal (but much less than a couple of months ago). In a week, there would be days where I feel good and certain days where I would feel totally miserable. I would have a lack of appetite, really soft stools (which were greenish-yellow today), nausea and just a constant feeling of being bloated. The doctor said that my problem could be caused my stress due to a major exam I had a month back but my problem is still persisting a month later. I've went to the doctor many many times and swolled many tablets and I'm wondering if this is normal symptoms of IBS or something else like IBD?And Oh, I've had this diarreah problem two years back. It lasted for several months but I guess I wasn't too concern about it back then. I remember rushing to the toilet constantly and had a terrible pain in the stomach that happens occasionally, even now. After several visits to the doctor (GP), but then, the doctor said that I could be allergic to certain food. And after stomach all sorts of MILK PRODUCTs, the diarreah stopped and I gained back the weight than I loss 2 years back. It started and was over within months. And last year, my digestive system was working perfectly, where it could accept milk, like cups after cups of milk and chocolate (I loved diary products =p). But this year, I no longer take any milk products once the diarreah issue started again but the problem still persist. Somehow its' the weightloss that concerns me the most. Thanks so much for anyone's help! cos i'm really concerned about the recently weight loss and loss of appetite. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Most people with a lack of appetite and complaining of nausea usually have a hard time shoving all the calories they need down their throat because they usually are in a position they have to force themselves to eat.If you do not eat enough calories and lose weight that is normal weight loss. Every human's weight will change depending on what they eat. That is normal. It is not normal to maintain weight regardless of how little you eat. Abnormal weigh loss is not a feature of IBS, that is true (when you eat "like a horse" all the time every day and still can't keep weight on).It is useful to track your calories (there are lots of online sites for this and they usually will calculate how many calories you need to maintain weight). If you eat less than that most days you will lose weight. Your body will not maintain weight if you do not put the calories in (which is why if you can stick to them diets can work however you go back to eating more calories than you need at the end you gain it all back).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry that you have to go through that.I lose weight when I get sick because I can't eat and poop out my insides.It's expected to lose weight when you can't eat for long periods of time or you eat and immediately poop. That happens with me a lot.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
In my experience...most IBS'ers with weightloss have it from undereating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts