Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about how how IBD is caused by the immune system going awry and how IBS shares much of the same symptoms of these auto-immune disorders. Is there anyway this could be a cause of IBS? and how would one go about trying to treat it? I visited a naturopathic dr. a few months back who ran a few tests which she said resulted in me being deficient in IGA serum which I guess has to do with Immunoglobulins and the bodys ability to fight infections. Even though I rarely get colds and have never had any other health issues in my life could this be the cause of my IBS?Here is one article I found but its not that informative...http://ibs.about.com/b/2009/02/10/ibs-and-...mune-system.htmDoes anyone else have any good articles or study's on this?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There are immune system cells (like mast cells) that also play a role in the control of the gut.It isn't the same as an auto-immune disorder and you don't see the immune system attacking and destroying tissues in IBS.However the cells they know of that are involved can send signals just like the nervous system can (and the part of the nervous system that controls the gut is complex enough it is called a second brain by some). If these signals are at the wrong time or the wrong intensity that can make something that CAN work just fine not work as it does all the right things at the wrong time or in the wrong order or the wrong amount.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I recently had a whole year symptom free. The first time in years and I was doing so well and then just after Christmas I caught the dreaded flu. I haven't felt that rough in a long time and I had to just lie down and stay in bed for about a week. 2/3 days later the diarrhea all came back and I am still dealing with it now. That is the only thing that I can link it to - that possibly the flu lowered my immunity because I was ill. I must admit I did wonder myself if my immune system itself had caused this to come back again. I would be grateful for any thoughts on this??

·
Registered
317 Posts
If I am correct, the forms of colitis are autoimune diseases, cause my your immune system being hyperactive towards a certain organ. ....I cannot say much about the topic, I am not a doctor of sorts...it could be an answer...but hey, I already have an autoimmune disease...having a second one would be well...too much!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think it's more like your body is overloaded with challenges, and finally your immune system gives up. Challenges are poor quality food, chemicals, stress, inadequate diet. Think of IBS as a symptom, not a disease per se.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.