Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the worst couple of days, UGH!! I am beginning to think I may have a problem with an overactive bladder. The last two nights have been totally MISERABLE. I don't notice my frequent trips to the restroom as much during the day, but at night it is REALLY beginning to be a nuisance. Last night I lay in bed from midnight until about 5am, and I know I was up and in the bathroom probably 20 times during just those 5 hours, I kid you not... (Just to urinate, I wasn't awake with colon problems or anything, for once!!) Each time I would empty my bladder, and just as SOON as I would lay down, I would feel the urge to go again. There is no burning with it, as I've had with bladder infections in the past. (And I've had bunches of those!!) Just a constant urge to go. It is driving me BONKERS!! The only way I finally was able to get any sleep last night was when my colon started acting up about 7am or so... And I only slept then because the terrible cramping in my stomach kept my mind off of the constant urge to have to tinkle
Have any of you ever experienced a problem with an overactive bladder?? And if so, is there anything that can be done about it?? Anything that works, I mean?? I've seen commercials for medications for this, but I wonder if they really work?? I believe I remember the side effects for this medication including diarrhea, which is something I REALLY don't need since I have a problem with that with my Colitis already
But I'm about ready to take the D in exchange for a solution to this "Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now!!" problem that they sing about in that commercial, LOL
I sometimes get this problem when I am due to start my period, by the way. I'll have a day or two of this, and then it passes. But my period isn't due for another 2 weeks yet
So I don't know WHAT is going on!! Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, everyone!!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
See a urologist, who might want to put you on Detrol for bladder spasms. I understand most people can tolerate Detrol well, though I couldn't at the time because it bothered my very sensitive stomach.Getting up 20 times is a lot. Is that still going on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ashley, There might be the possibility that you have a UTI, uninary tract infection. Go to the doctors and they can help you out. I have been told that you don't have to have a burning sensation to have a UTI but that the often and frequent need to urinate can be the only symptom. They can prescribe and antibotic to clear up the problem.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for responding, HipJan & Jenk
I'm feeling a little bit better now, but I do plan to ask my doctor when I go on July 9th about this problem. I'm thinking it might not be a bladder infection, just because I've had about 5 of those, and I always get the really intense burning when I have an infection. This is just the constant urge to go
I'm still getting up maybe once an hour at night, but at least it's not several times an hour like it was
!! That was one of the most miserable nights I've ever had!! Hopefully once I explain to my doctor what's going on, he will be able to help me out. I sure hope so at least...Thanks again for taking the time to respond, I sure do appreciate it

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do I know how you feel!
I have over active bladder extremely bad. It keeps me up all night to. The best thing you can do is make yourself hold it.But it is SO hard! You just sit in bed and wiggle and wiggle and you can't handle it anymore! The pressure is SO strong... I was on Detrol LA for a while.Made my eyes dilate,Made me nauseated,and I had problems with headaches. Most cases of OAB are treatable though. Most cases of OAB are found in women aswell. Hopefully Detrol LA will work for you. My problem is my back... But I really do know how you feel it sounds exactly like what I have> I really hope you get better and I hope they can find a treatment to help you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.