Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently being worked up for IBS-D. I have had a colonscopy, endoscopy, stool test, blood test, and CT scan of my abdomen. All normal. I am currently experiencing diarrhea on a daily basis. I get extreme urgency and about 2x a week, I don't make it to the bathroom. Its not so bad because I currently have to wear breifs (diapers) because of urge urine incontinence. The urge incontinence is caused by other health problems that I have. I also get abdominal pain right before having to go to the bathroom. As soon as I go, it goes away. Anyway, is there anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am currently being worked up for IBS-D. I have had a colonscopy, endoscopy, stool test, blood test, and CT scan of my abdomen. All normal. I am currently experiencing diarrhea on a daily basis. I get extreme urgency and about 2x a week, I don't make it to the bathroom. Its not so bad because I currently have to wear breifs (diapers) because of urge urine incontinence. The urge incontinence is caused by other health problems that I have. I also get abdominal pain right before having to go to the bathroom. As soon as I go, it goes away. Anyway, is there anyone else experiencing this?
Do you have some type of nerve/spinal damage or neurologic disorder or cancer that was removed? I think that with a little trial and error you and your doctors will find a set of medications to help with the fecal urgency. Antidepressants and antispasmodics are often used if you do not have a contraindication to their use. I am curious, as to such a combination with the urge urine incontinence. Is there a connection; are you a male or female? Sorry for such personal questions, but maybe it will help get you some reponses. Many of us here on the D forum get the urgency like 15 times a day. So, 2 times a week does not sound horrible but it certainly is bad if you cannot make it to the bathroom in time. Two ACCIDENTS a week would cause most of us to be far less positive than you are right now. I hope we can offer you some advice. I personally am not sure right now how to answer other than I know there are products and drugs/supplements listed at length in this section that have helped others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have some type of nerve/spinal damage or neurologic disorder or cancer that was removed? I think that with a little trial and error you and your doctors will find a set of medications to help with the fecal urgency. Antidepressants and antispasmodics are often used if you do not have a contraindication to their use. I am curious, as to such a combination with the urge urine incontinence. Is there a connection; are you a male or female? Sorry for such personal questions, but maybe it will help get you some reponses. Many of us here on the D forum get the urgency like 15 times a day. So, 2 times a week does not sound horrible but it certainly is bad if you cannot make it to the bathroom in time. Two ACCIDENTS a week would cause most of us to be far less positive than you are right now. I hope we can offer you some advice. I personally am not sure right now how to answer other than I know there are products and drugs/supplements listed at length in this section that have helped others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I get fecal urgency like 4-5 times a day. I can usually make it to the bathroom on time. But like I said, around a couple times a week, I don't make it. I am used to having accidents with the urge urine incontinence and wearing briefs (diapers) but the bowel leakage is tough to deal with. To answer your question, I am male and have Bipolar Disorder. I take Lithium (mood stabilizer) and Saphris (antipsychotic), along with synthroid for hypothyroid, and Inderal for tremors and blood pressure. I also sleep with oxygen. It is because of my bipolar meds that I have incontinence. I have been to a few different urologists and regularly see a psychiatrist and they think that my psych meds interfere with the nerve signals from my brain that tell me I have to go pee and my urinary sphincter doesn't close properly to keep me from leaking. I can't take antidepressants because they interfere with my mental stability by increasing my seratonin levels. I have tried anticholinergenics such as Detrol, Enablex, Vessicare, Gelnique, and Imipramine. All gave me untolerable side effects like decreased sweating, dry mouth and eyes, and terrible constipation. They did not give me enough relief from the incontinece to continue them so in talking to my doctor, I gave them up. The contipation was unbearable. Hopefully, this will be enough info for someone to help me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My GI doc doesn't know what to diagnose me with. He is unsure of whether I have IBS or if my medication is making me sick and upsetting my stomach. So far he has given me alinia but he took me off that when he got my stool studies back. I think that med was to treat Giardia and such. Now, he told me to take Align, which is a probiotic. Anybody got any ideas? Like I said, I have diarrhea like 4-5x a day. I get abdominal pains right before I have to go, and then they go away when I'm done. This has been going on for like 6 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.