Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a normal BM since sometime in Sept. Only loose stools and a week or so of watery diarrhea. Not too much cramping. Slight gas cramps at times that are relieved after going to restroom. I am going back to doctor tomorrow. The first visit he prescribed Cipro and something else that I can't remember, but both were for infections, one was for bacterial infections. Those did not seem to help. Prescribed Avelox last week, which I think is also for infection. Not any better. So I'm going back tomorrow. I have days where I can eat anything and be just fine, but the next day will get cramps/diarrhea. Always have loose stool whether I have discomfort or not. This just started a few months ago so I hope it's some kind of virus or infection that can be treated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help you, but I just found this site and was relieved that someone out there has similar problems!I haven't had a regular BM since August, and have had a slew of tests including a colonoscopy and small bowel xray....all came back negative. I have a feeling I'm going to get the default IBS diagnosis and wondered if in fact that's what it is and what I can do about it. I hate the thought of this never going away.So I'll be anxious to see any responses and have some additional questions. Is it common for "bouts" of IBS to be constant (daily) for months at a time?In addition to the diarrhea and other symptoms, I went through about 3 weeks with bouts of severe pain.....I was sure it was gallstones....is that a common occurence?I will dig deeper into this site, but thanks for any help!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Iin January of this year, I started having daily, multiple D, that didn't stop. After six months--I'd tried all OTC remedies--I went to GI who did basic testing and said I had IBS. He gave me prescriptions for anti-spasmodics etc which also made no difference. Finally, out of desperation, I took a Xanax for my anxiety. (I am responsible for two elderly parents with dementia so I'm under chronic stress.) The D stopped in 48 hours! Started seeing a psychiatrist who added Effexor XR--combo anti-anxiety/depressant--and lowered the Xanax slightly. It turns out I had anxiety-induced D which is not uncommon. Just something to consider. Take care.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Mmon,In a lot of cases taking anti biotics will cause you to have diarrhea. The anit biotic kill off the bad germs as well as the good ones that keep you system functioning normally. Also vitmains can cause stomach upset and diarrhea in some people. Vitamin C, E, and A and the mineral magnesium. So if you are taking this you may want to stop for a while.Linda

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, regarding the anxiety. I am on zoloft for depression and that has not helped relieve my symptoms. But it was not prescribed for this condition. I didn't even tell the doctor about this when I went in for the depression. I figured I just had a bug that would go away in time. I got on the zoloft well after the D began. I don't take vitamins on a regular basis. I don't feel like I have a lot of stress in my life. At least not much more than I had before this started. I don't feel like I have anxiety and the zoloft is holding the depression at bay. Mentally I feel great! Hopefully doc will find a treatment that works for me soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, Mmom,My doctors struggled for at least two years trying to diagnose me. Finally, I found a doctor who understood my symptoms and properly diagnosed me. The unique symptoms of IBS, for me, were that, after having diarrhea, I still did not feel "empty," and I felt like I had no control over my bowels. I wasn't incontinent, but when I felt this sudden, horrible urge to go, I had to find a bathroom and QUICK! Also, my doctor told me that IBS patients are hyper-sensitive to motion in their guts. I can feel the digestion as it's happening, especially if I'm lying on my stomach, when before I had IBS, I was not at all aware of what was going on with the plumbing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.