Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking a probiotic for the last couple of months and kind of thought it had been helping me move my bowels a little more although I'm not sure about the bloat/gas. Since I thought it was helping and I had found out that more than one a day might be recommended, I increased my dose to twice a day a few weeks ago.Now the last few nights after dinner I have had HORRIBLE gas, passing alot of mucus and a little stool (sorry for the details)and I swear I am passing a huge amount of gas, so much I sit on the toliet because I don't know what may come out of me. When I pass gas there are literally bubbles coming out. What the h####l is that! Could it be from the probiotics? The last couple of days I ate alot of egg whites and thought maybe it was from that but today I avoided them and still I'm like Hindenberg exploding. Anyone else get this gassy with the probiotics? I'm thinking of not taking them tomorrow.

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
what probiotics are you taking? I've had the same problem myself with the probiotics I've tried. I'm ibs-c and tried acidolphilus, digestive advantage-ibs and da-c--all with horrible, yes, hindenberg-like--gas and I also bought some align but now I'm afraid to take it because of those experiences. and the probiotics made my c worse too. I was wondering if maybe the gas is an initial reaction to the introduction of the probotic into one's system and maybe the gas will go away after a while (once the body is used to it) but the gas is so bad I just can't bear to keep taking the probiotic in order to put this theory to the test. I was wondering if probiotics are more helpful for d people??

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Generally not from the bacteria in them.However many probiotics contain prebiotics (FOS and others) that can feed gas producing bacteria as well as the probiotic ones that do not produce gas when they digest carbohydrates.K.

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
thanks Kathleen! If I try any more probiotics, I'll be sure and check the labels. the ones I've tried didn't list FOS although I've seen other probiotics that do list it. and who knows about the "others"--maybe the manufacturers aren't required to list prebiotics on the label?guess it's trial and error and see which ones work for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses.That awful gas I had a few nights ago has subsided. I think maybe it was increasing the dose that may have been too much. Yesterday and today I have been better (back to what my "normal" is anyway). I take the acidolphilus pearls by enzymatic therapy. They have lactobacillus and bifidobacterium. No prebiotics or other added fiber. They are entereic coated to ensure delivery to the colon.Maybe I need to increase more gradually, adding the second one every couple of days or so_On another subject,I was watchin PBS last night and this naturotpath? was talking all about gut health. Anyone know about Brenda Watson (I think that was her name). I didn't catch the whole thing by her "system" with the acronym of "HOPE" for high fiber, 2 mg omega 3 fatty acids, probiotics 600CFU per day and enzymes via raw foods. Just curious if anyone familiar with her or her books/products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.