Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my surgery and quit smoking I have gotten worse. I had not noticed my IBS symptoms for at least a year before July. My chest has hurt and I always feel bloated. I can take 2 bites of a sandwich and feel stuffed. I have felt like I was being squished together in the rib cage area. I was finally sent to a gastro at UNC for another opinion and he thinks it is the IBS.He said he was not suprised that I got worse after the surgery, basically I had upset the arrangement the nervous system in the gut area created.. He says amazing the symptoms IBS can present(the rib cage area and feeling squeezed) He said they are now using anti depressants to help the nerves in the stomach area get better.. Has anyone else heard of this? Thanks *sorry if this was posted twice.*Momof2qts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes, this is becoming more and more common to hear about...and is yet more evidence of the mind/gut connection....It is my belief that in the final analysis it will be found that a great deal of IBS is mind based....doesn't mean we don't actually have pain...Im living proof that we do, but IBS has to have a cause and the limits of the mind are endless....I think there will be further developments in antidepressants and antianxietants that will more targeted at IBS. Thats just my opinion though...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, this is becoming more and more common to hear about...and is yet more evidence of the mind/gut connection....It is my belief that in the final analysis it will be found that a great deal of IBS is mind based....doesn't mean we don't actually have pain...Im living proof that we do, but IBS has to have a cause and the limits of the mind are endless....I think there will be further developments in antidepressants and antianxietants that will more targeted at IBS. Thats just my opinion though...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I was prescribed Elavil (tricyclic antidepress.) for pain which sounds eerily similar to yours. It doesn't take all the pain away but it greatly lessens the awareness of that hungry-yet-can't-hardly-eat-a-thing queasy, gnawing feeling, and the awareness of the spasms in my esophagus. Now although I still have heartburn-type pain, it's not the crushing, overwhelming sort of pain that feels as though an elephant is sitting on my chest. The dosage of antidepressants they prescribe aren't usually enough to treat depression. My GI doc said low doses seem to quell the contractions in the smooth muscles of the gut. I tried to go off of it recently and the same old feelings came back (in fact the nausea seemed stronger!) so I went back on it two nights ago and already feel better.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I was prescribed Elavil (tricyclic antidepress.) for pain which sounds eerily similar to yours. It doesn't take all the pain away but it greatly lessens the awareness of that hungry-yet-can't-hardly-eat-a-thing queasy, gnawing feeling, and the awareness of the spasms in my esophagus. Now although I still have heartburn-type pain, it's not the crushing, overwhelming sort of pain that feels as though an elephant is sitting on my chest. The dosage of antidepressants they prescribe aren't usually enough to treat depression. My GI doc said low doses seem to quell the contractions in the smooth muscles of the gut. I tried to go off of it recently and the same old feelings came back (in fact the nausea seemed stronger!) so I went back on it two nights ago and already feel better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. I am glad to know that others have heard of this. However, I tried to take the medicine and AGAIN I felt worse. I took it two times, and only HALF the dosage he prescribed*for the first week* and, well I have had the worst anxiety and even panic/slight depression since! *This happened with the last one they tried also*. I still am feeling kinda anxious and the chest pains have had me up pretty much all night. Im going to speak with another doctor again today. Im sure the IBS is playing a great role in this, but the anti-depressants are just not for me.. I dont understand why, but they aren't.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies. I am glad to know that others have heard of this. However, I tried to take the medicine and AGAIN I felt worse. I took it two times, and only HALF the dosage he prescribed*for the first week* and, well I have had the worst anxiety and even panic/slight depression since! *This happened with the last one they tried also*. I still am feeling kinda anxious and the chest pains have had me up pretty much all night. Im going to speak with another doctor again today. Im sure the IBS is playing a great role in this, but the anti-depressants are just not for me.. I dont understand why, but they aren't.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just a thought and it might not apply to you - but I found that a lot of my IBS symptoms settled down (whilst never completely going away) when i started the menopause last year ( early at the age of 46 due, my doctor said, to smoking). Since quitting smoking (which I know you have as well) my menstrual periods have returned and so has my IBS!!! I'm told that nicotine has a profound affect on Oestrogen and the gut. If you're on any kind of hormone - eg., the contraceptive pill or hormone replacement therapy - be aware that the dosage might need adjusting now you've quit smoking and this might also affect your ibs symptoms.you have my sympathy - stay strong!liz

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just a thought and it might not apply to you - but I found that a lot of my IBS symptoms settled down (whilst never completely going away) when i started the menopause last year ( early at the age of 46 due, my doctor said, to smoking). Since quitting smoking (which I know you have as well) my menstrual periods have returned and so has my IBS!!! I'm told that nicotine has a profound affect on Oestrogen and the gut. If you're on any kind of hormone - eg., the contraceptive pill or hormone replacement therapy - be aware that the dosage might need adjusting now you've quit smoking and this might also affect your ibs symptoms.you have my sympathy - stay strong!liz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.